Michigan Winter

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
moving2time
Veteran Member

Re: Michigan Winter

Post by moving2time »

Max, that outfit looks like an over sized elf-on-a-shelf. Kinda scary really. We will be golfing Apple Valley in May on our annual week long golf trip in central Ohio. We usually stage out of cabin for eight in Loudonville. Just the other night I heard that we will be staying in a house in Apple Valley. Apparently a rental from someone's friend. Either way we have been golfing Apple Valley for years. JoeB
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Bruce,
Really good question. I use a website www.miiceguys.com. It’s maintained by the ice fishing guys, reports ice thickness, etc.. Sonwmobile tracks, ice shanties etc are good indicators. I approach unknow lakes with caution. The obvious signs of thin ice are darker spots. We had a Super Cub go through the ice last winter. He was practicing T&G’s and after a full stop landing decided to taxi back further south to get a longer take off run. He turned around and as soon as he hit the throttle the plane went through. Luckily for him some people on shore saw what happened and pushed a row boat out. He was OK but the plane was totaled. People familiar with the Lake said the ice is always thinner on the south end because of springs.

I’ll try and post a short video, landed down at Plainwell (61D) for breakfast Saturday morning. 10-12” of fresh snow but I forgot to turn the VIRB on. Went back on Monday morning expecting the runway to be plowed. Good news was they didn’t!!
Glad I was flying with my snow boots.

Gary
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

Hey Gary, Can you run a VIRB without having a MFD? I saw a youtube video of a guy running a VIRB but I didn't see an MFD. I really liked how it tracked his speed and his route, but wondered if I had to have their other equipment?

Paul
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Paul,
The VIRB is very similar to the GoPro, uses most of the same mounts. I run mine WiFi from an app on my phone when it's mounted outside the plane. It does track Attitude, speed GPS position etc...

Gary
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

Good to know. Thanks.
957DK
Seasoned Member

Post by 957DK »

Paul,

There's a remote control available for the VIRB. Allows you to start and stop recording when you'd like if the camera is mounted externally.
I have one, it works well.

Dan
Highlander w/Alaska mods
N957DK
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Thanks Gary! Another question for you all. Does anyone know which camera Trent Palmer is using that is gyro stabilized? He mounts it in the center looking forward behind the pilots.

Cheers,
Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

BucF16 wrote:Does anyone know which camera Trent Palmer is using that is gyro stabilized? He mounts it in the center looking forward behind the pilots.
In this YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3MWCx71jUE, Trent says it's a DJI Ozmo stabilized camera. The video is worth watching.

Here's a link to a complete system at B&H Photo: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... amera.html. Endorsement: I've bought from B&H for many years. They're a real brick-and-mortar establishment with a long history of functional customer service. Buying bigger-ticket items from them isn't scary.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Thank You SheepDog! I know I herd him call it an Osmo, but I didn’t know anything else. That will be on mr Christmas list!
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

Dan and Gary,

Thanks for the info on the VIRB. I think I'm gonna go that direction when I get around to a flight recording camera, as I really like that you can control it outside the aircraft, and I really like how it shows speeds and travel direction.

There's a pretty cool Garmin video on youtube, just search youtube for... Garmin VIRB: Landing a Seaplane at Oshkosh
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

The DJI Osmo Mobile 2 is a gimbal mount for smartphones. It's both better and less expensive ($129) than the original version. I'd probably use it inside the cockpit, mounted much like Trent Palmer mounts his Osmo.
DJI Osmo Mobile 2.png
Here's a review: https://www.techradar.com/reviews/dji-osmo-mobile-2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

The Garmin Virb Elite is the one that has built in GPS & WiFi, I picked one up new on eBay for $219. I was looking and almost purchased the Garmin Virb, which doesn't have GPS & WiFi. I'm planning on mounting mine on the bottom of the fuselage on the SuperSTOL Gear mount along with a landing light.
If you go to the Tacked Picture Thread! and a Postby Strasnuts » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:34 pm (viewtopic.php?f=218&t=17021&start=15) you can see he is using it in conjuction with the Garmin G3X Touch. To get the picture on the G3X you need to hardwire the camera into the back of the G3X for it to display the video.

I know you don't have a G3X, but in order to make sure it worked I did some research and found that the the Garmin Virb does not have the GPS/WiFi Functions. I also found that Garmin makes a really nice 360 Degree stabilized Camera, but it is pricy. I was tyhinking of using one of those but I believe it only can be turned on and off remotely, and controled with the Garmin G3X, but the G3X can't display it's video. https://www.flyingmag.com/garmin-cranks ... 360-camera

I need to look at the DJI Osmo 2.
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

Hi Paul,
If you mount the camera under the fuselage on the gear, be prepared to clean the camera lens (or protective case) before/after each flight. I had my GoPro knockoff mounted there a coupe of years ago and found that it was regularly covered with exhaust particulate and occasionally oily film. You may not have the same issues I did, but be prepared to find out that it's not a great location for a camera unless the exhaust is directed well away from it. ....just my two cents worth.
Dan
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Mine is the VIRB Ultra 30. Built in GPS so you get all the data with overlays. I’m in the Cayman Islands this week, using the VIRB while snorkeling and SCUBA diving. The underwater sound is really cool. Will post a video when I get back.

I mentioned earlier but one of the reasons I picked this one is it uses all the same mounts as the GoPro.

That Gimble mount does look cool, may need to try that out.

Gary
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

FlyerChief wrote:Hi Paul,
If you mount the camera under the fuselage on the gear, be prepared to clean the camera lens (or protective case) before/after each flight. I had my GoPro knockoff mounted there a coupe of years ago and found that it was regularly covered with exhaust particulate and occasionally oily film. You may not have the same issues I did, but be prepared to find out that it's not a great location for a camera unless the exhaust is directed well away from it. ....just my two cents worth.
Dan
Chris had also warned me of that issue. Any camera out in the environment will need to be cleaned after almost every flight.
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A

Return to “Just Aircraft”