AV8R Paul’s SuperSTOL XL

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Re: AV8R Paul’s SuperSTOL XL

Post by AV8R Paul »

Today, I did the last Joint tape on the Vertical Stabilizer, all I have left is the Trim Tab & finishing.
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I took a break this afternoon. However this evening I went and started working on the applying the superfil, I applied it to the Horizontal Stabilizer, & Vertical Stabilizer one side. Let it cure overnight and apply it to the other side. Once I get them done I’ll get ou the air file to finish. Tomorrow I need to do the trim tab glassing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Sanded one of the leading edge cuffs on the Horizontal Stabilizer and it looks really nice, I started sanding the other side with the in line air file, got about 1/3 of the way through the job and the in line air sander gave up the ghost. I’ve got to go buy a new one tomorrow.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I purchased a new straight line sander, man my old one was worn out. This one didn’t need coaxing to get it started with the stroke. I went to Harbor Freight they had sent me a 20% off coupon, so instead of $34 right at $27. That’s why I like harbor freight tools, most are so cheap if you didn’t like it toss it. I Completed sanding of the Horizontal & Vertical Stabilizers, I need to do a skim coat on all and then finish sand. The will look sweet when covered.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Tonight I got the trim tab wraps started. They went pretty well. I also did the first part of the layup for the 2nd Air Dam, vacuum bagging the core layers. I will detrash an layup one of the exterior layers tomorrow, along with working on the trim tab. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Today, I did some repairs on the leading edge cuff on one of the Horizontal Stabilizers, and on the leading edge of the elevator. I got the trim tab edge wrap on the top side complete. I also put the Honeycomb Carbon on the first side of the 2nd Air Dam. Tomorrow, I have to go vote and baby sit out dog. He had ACL Surgery and is restricted to staying in the house for 10 weeks and on a lead to go outside. Dorothy has a Dallas County Community College District Board Meeting tomorrow, so she will be gone all day long, which put me in the role of doggy baby sitter. I should be able to get the second side of the Trim tab & the Air Dam completed tomorrow evening, and then it sand & finish work and I'll finally have this done.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Well using Oratex Fabric is up in the Air for a decision. As Lars Gleitsmann recently told me, currently Oratex is having manufacturing problems with their glue. According to Paul Mills It could be 3 weeks to 3 months before they get the problem worked out. I’m in the process of trying to find someone that has Oratex Glue they will not be using in the next couple of months that is still within usable date code. If I can’t find someone that is willing to swap their glue for the glue in my order. I will need to cancel my order for Oratex and go with a more Available Aircraft Fabric. Chris Wallen of Wallen Aircraft llc said we are about a month out to covering, and will be needing the glue. I’m not willing to hold up our progress, an I am not willing to have a Hugh impact on Chris Wallen’s schedule. Having been a small business owner, I know this could cause a huge impact on Chris’ business and on his bottom line.

I detrashed the layups from yesterday, the repairs came out perfect. I completed the layups for the second Airdam. Now all I have is the push pull tube cover, the trim tab, and finish sand, finish sand, finish sand, finish sand, finish sand . . . .
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I am really bummed out by the Oratex fiasco.
AV8R Paul
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Good morning Paul, I'm really sorry to hear about the "Fiasco"! When will you know if it is 3 weeks or 3 months? I am waiting for my shipment, and am ordering a package today for a Cassette that were are covering here. SO I'm interested to say the least. I have spoken to Joe and he has not mentioned anything.

My Oratex package for my Highlander was shipped at the end of January, and made it to the Columbus FedEx facility. I was tracking the shipment and then noticed the delivery was canceled! WHAT! I seems that the factory had just viewed the email from Lars that I wanted the shipment delayed till the end of February due to my surgery. I figured if its here, keep it coming. So now it's back at the factory and They can't find it. UGH!

With me so far, Better Aircraft Fabric has been very responsive. But an observation that I have, is that Alaska and Germany 10 time zones apart. It must be hard to get immediate answers to your questions with that kind of time zone difference. A true handicap. When I was in the Sandbox (Kuwait) we had the same problem dealing with the Squadron back home.

Good Luck!!
Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

WOW! Sorry to hear about this Oratex glue issue. I hope you get it resolved quickly and with little impact on your progress.

I'm making arrangements to go get my SuperSTOL on the 18th. I plan to spend a few days at the factory working on it, then pack it up and drive it home (3-4 days). Can't wait! :D t

Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Clark in AZ wrote:WOW! Sorry to hear about this Oratex glue issue. I hope you get it resolved quickly and with little impact on your progress.

I'm making arrangements to go get my SuperSTOL on the 18th. I plan to spend a few days at the factory working on it, then pack it up and drive it home (3-4 days). Can't wait! :D t

Clark
Clark,
As soon as Chris Wallen gives me the all clear, I'll be packing up to take my tail feathers to him so we can get them installed. If it is the week of the 18th I'll make a point of stopping by to meet.
Wallens Shop is about 60 miles from the Just Aircraft Factory, but maybe we could go have lunch, dinner, or a cold one.

Larz & Paul both offered to refund my purchase, they really gave me no confidence that they have a clue as to when the Glue would come. They recommended I replace the Oratex Glue with Stewarts glue. I asked had they done any testing to assure the compatibility of the Oratex Fabric & the Stewarts Glue, were they going to do more than a sample of one, give it a tug by hand, and would they guarantee it. Paul said they would test a sample and ask Stewarts if they would guarantee the glue in that application. Lars admitted to assure the application they would need to do about $7800 worth of reliability testing, and he wasn't going to do that. When I called Paul Mills in the morning he said he didn't know what was happening and he would have to check. When he called back that afternoon, he told me We've known about this for 3 days. It kind of blew the Trust factor. Are you just going to use the factory supplied material?

AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

That would be super Paul. I'll let you know when everything is firmed up. Yes, I am going the Poly Fiber route. Took the EAA class a few weeks ago. It was great and gave me all the confidence to get it done.

Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I have completed the last of the fiberglassing today on the Trim Tab & the Push Pull Tube cover. I will go back an knife trim tonight, and then I’ll start on the finish filling.

I'll be heading to Travelers Rest as soon as Chris Wallen gives me clearance. I'm wondering what he has named his Daughter. I can't imagine starting the process of being a father. My one daughter was more than a handful.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I just got off of the phone with Paul Mills of Better Aircraft Fabric, and have cancelled my order and requested a full refund. So the plane like the owner has gaining some weight. Hopefully there are no hitches with getting the refund.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Clark in AZ wrote:WOW! Sorry to hear about this Oratex glue issue. I hope you get it resolved quickly and with little impact on your progress.

Clark
I checked my calendar, and the soonest I'll be going is probably the week of March 25th. I'll probably be leaving Sunday afternoon. Looking at a map from Wahalla to Cave Creek that is one LONG drive 1958 Miles. I hope you have a Co-Pilot. Looks like we will be using Poly Fiber as well.
AV8R Paul

Return to “Just Aircraft”