Highlander 393

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
moving2time
Veteran Member

Re: Highlander 393

Post by moving2time »

Clearly I haven't started a build yet but I plan to use the LEC. Just for reference, how do you locate the LEC on the leading edge? I assume if you order it from Steve it has instructions. Do those of you that have installed it get much into fairing the top and bottom edges into the spar? It appears that Barry used the vinyl to fair the LEC into the spar but perhaps he filled and sanded before he applied the vinyl. I really need to beg, borrow, and steal the last few bucks to order my kit. I would like to keep my CUB through my build but that will only delay further. So close yet so far. Frustrated. Joe B
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Steve sent me a drawing that shows the profile, but also instructions that you just align it to make the profile look like a natural extension of the airfoil.

I guess “TLAR” (that looks about right) works here.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

There are some pictures on Steve's site that show how the cuff fits. They're in the Galleries section; click on "Building The 2016 Highlander!" or use this link and scroll down: http://www.wildwestaircraft.com/galleri ... g-the-new/.

Here's one of them:
Cuff-Steve Henry 5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
mhcrowder
Veteran Member

Post by mhcrowder »

Steve provides a leading edge profile template when your order the LEC. It is traced on the outside of the shipping box. I almost threw out the box before I realized it was there. I took the pattern and transferred it to a 1" thick piece of plywood. Seems to make it much easier to get things aligned.

You can see my template here... http://highlander371.blogspot.com/2018/ ... plate.html

I'm hoping to start putting the LEC on this weekend.

--
Michael
Building Highlander #371
http://highlander371.blogspot.com/
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

I was curious how detailed the measurements would be and where the base point would be. With the template I'm guessing that you just line up by eye and suggested in one of the posts. Seems a little ambiguous but I'm not surprised. Seems like a theme in the build of the Highlander. Who new rocket science had such huge tolerances. OK, aeronautical engineering science. :roll: Joe B
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

I......did not know there was a template on the box.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Dane there wasn’t one when we got ours. I called Steve and had the manufacturer send me one.
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Well, I don’t feel too bad then. Thanks. All I have for a guide is the picture from steve’s site and this image. It is not a highlander image, and the leading edge addition is slightly different, but it gets the point across.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

Dane, was the rib shown in the drawing a Kit Fox rib? I seem to remember that this originated for the Kit Fox. Joe B
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

That pic looks like its a Kitfox. That is not where we want it on the Highlander wing. It needs to be lower to really do all it can on our wings. My fiberglass man did forget to include the template a couple times. It really does work just fine being made of cardboard.
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
FredHoffman
Veteran Member

Post by FredHoffman »

I like the the leading edge cuff. Just wondering what they look like installed after plane is built. My Highlander is already finished but I would like to add them. Any photos of them glued and taped on after covering?
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Hey Fred, I think that One of us, early on, added cuffs after his highlander was completed and then made it permanent. It might add a little weight, but you might add them, flair in filler, and then reapply finish tape over top. If this is total FUBAR, those with more knowledge, please correct me.

Cheers,
Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

moving2time wrote:Dane, was the rib shown in the drawing a Kit Fox rib? I seem to remember that this originated for the Kit Fox. Joe B

Yeah, it is an old SkyStar diagram.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

barry767 wrote:... Once everything fits right and is at the proper angle, you simply attach it permanently with a caulking product. I then applied a 5 inch tall length of vinyl that was close to the same color as my airplane along the entire length of the wing to finish the job.
This sounds like it was after the installation. Nice and simple with vinyl tape over it.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Here is Steve Henry’s 2016 Build, if you look through them there is a couple of good photos showing the mounting & positioning of the Leading Edge.
http://www.wildwestaircraft.com/galleri ... g-the-new/
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A

Return to “Just Aircraft”