Brought my Escapade kit home Saturday

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
scubarider
Veteran Member

Brought my Escapade kit home Saturday

Post by scubarider »

Just wanted to let everyone know I brought my kit home this weekend.  Spent over 6 hours on the road.  I did the inventory Sunday afternoon.  It took me 5 hours.  Had two full pages of parts missing.  I knew that several pieces were still at powder coating but the rest....   Was pretty frustrating.  Went over tonight and spent 2 hours trying to put the hubs and tires together.  Ended up just tossing them in the back of my truck to take to the tire place tomorrow.  
I have one big question.   :?:   It seems that most everyone does the order of building different.  Could someone please give me some basics on what to start with?  Better yet, if someone could please take the time and give me advice on the order for the major parts.  Like, seats, stringers, rudder, etc.  I would be much appreciative.  :P
Thanks!!!
Living life on the edge makes me dizzy.  I love Dizzy!
utpa001
Forum Regular

Post by utpa001 »

I was pretty concerned about what order to build stuff when I started too.  Over time I've found I end up working on a few things at once.  If I get frustrated with something, or need a tool or part, or just don't feel like dealing with the Hysol adheasive, I usually find another part to work on.  I started with the rudder controls, and the wood flooring.  Followed with the tail and the rest of the fuselage.    Then I worked on the control surfaces some, and then put the wings on.  I didn't put the gear on until I was ready to put the wings on (mostly because I didn't have it yet, but it turns out it takes up a lot less space on a saw horse then it does on the gear).  Right now I'm almost done with the right wing, then I"ll turn it around and do the left (just can't get both wings to fit in a 2 car garage, especially with a car parked under the one wing that is on).  I got the quickbuild wings and control surfaces, so I didn't have to do all that.  I'm kind of waiting to finish the assembly of everything, before I start covering anything.  I haven't started on the panel or elt or engine stuff at all either.  Hope that helps a little  :D

Good luck and good building!

Tim
Tim
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

I know that the manual leaves a lot to be desired, but...

I used the manual, in the order that it is printed.  Chapter one, two, three, four, five... you get the pattern.  There are things that could be better, but this manual is good enough to build an airplane.

The interior fabric work should be put in before the rudder cables if you plan to do interior fabric.  That is the only issue I had with following the manual order.

You will end up putting the entire airplane together, wings, ailerons, rudder, elevator, flaps, landing gear etc.  Then you take it all apart and put the fabric on.  This needs to be done so that any fit issues are resolved before the fabric goes on.  

Use the manual and some common sense.  When that does not work, call Troy or Jamie.  You may have to call everyday.  They expect that.  They will take the time to do that until they fix the manual.

You can skip around on tasks as mentioned by others,  the only penalty might be taking something apart again and reassemble.  That happens when you build.  some parts go on and off a dozen times before final final assembly.

Hang in there, this is not a big task, just a lot of little ones done in sequence.

Dave
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

Regarding the tires, which tires are you using?

I have the 8.50 x 6, and there was no difficulty in mounting them.  Put talc or baby powder on the tube, put the tube in the tire with just enough air to straighten out the tube, then put the wheel halves through, put the nuts on the 3 bolts spaced around the wheel.  Take extra care not to pinch the tube between the wheel halves and you have it.  

I have heard that the Goodyear 26's are a little more difficult, but possible.

Dave
scubarider
Veteran Member

Post by scubarider »

:lol:
Just got in from trying to work for a couple hours on the Escapade.  I brought my tires to a tire shop and they mounted them.  I have the smaller ones that come with the kit.  Have the Matco brakes already on them.  Anyway, all done.  All I did tonight was work on cutting the metal for the seats.  Don't have my rivet gun yet.  Should be here soon.  Cut a template for the ELT also.  Will do it up in fiberglass.  I will do the same with the battery.  Thanks for your answers.  I probably should go by the book also.  Jamie emailed me concerning the missing parts.  Those guys are great by the way.  Troy will probably fly me the parts soon.  I will call them tomorrow.
Thanks again!
:P
Living life on the edge makes me dizzy.  I love Dizzy!

Return to “Just Aircraft”