AV8R Paul’s SuperSTOL XL

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Re: AV8R Paul’s SuperSTOL XL

Post by AV8R Paul »

I went flying today to test it, and I would say it made one hell of an improvement. It use to take a 1, and, 2, and 3, and then it would pick up the tail. I started my T/O roll, put stick to neutral, and pushed forward, counted 1, and, then it picked up the tail. It actually startled me it went so fast.

Originally we put the VGs about 1 inch in front of the hinge centerline. In reading the STOLspeed instructions they said 4 inches. As and engineer it makes sense. With the stick neutral, it allow the airflow to affix to the top of the airfoil, as you deflect the elevators it should adhere to elevator better as deflected. With the VGs closer to the hinge point, once you deflect from neutral the hinge point will create turbulence. We will see.

In cruise it definitely flys with the tail up. To me it feels definitely tail high. I was really stoke about the change.

You can definitely tell a difference in the responsiveness of the elevator in climb versus decent.

First thing I plan to do is to move the Lower Horizontal Stabilizer VGs further forward. They are currently about 1.5 inches in front of the hinge gap. I want to move them to 4 inches in front of the hinge gap to the leading edge of the VG. Just like I did on the Top.

After I get that done, and tested. I will then add some Gap Seal Tape to the top & Bottom of the Horizontal/Rudder hinge interface.
mac wrote:Paul - Have you had a chance to fly with this new VG arrangement yet? Interested in results!
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Post by CanadianSheepHunter »

AV8R Paul wrote:Chris Wallen sent me a photo of the baggage area floor board and aft bulkhead, I was pleased to see my work on the floor boards turned out so well.
It’s been a week and 2 days since the surgery, thank goodness the pain, & itching has subsided. The stitches still pull when I lean over, but it is healing nicely.
I’m heading to Travelers Rest next Wednesday to help do some covering. I don’t think I will be capable of doing any heavy lifting.
Many thanks for the many great photos! I'm still going through them, hope you recovery is excellent! What is the red thing on the fuel line?
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

AV8R Paul wrote:Well we completed cover the top of the wing, one down. We still have to do the tapes on the first wing, Chris wants to hold off and do all of tapes at one time. We cut the Oratex for both the top & bottom of the second wing. Chris had completed squirting some paint. Here are some photos.

Both Chris and I thought working with the Oratex was pretty easy. I had purchase seconds and there’s are some flaws in the material, but all in all two thumbs up. I liked it!
What is the name of the tape you are using there?...and did you use any tape over rivets before putting on Oratex?...I will be using Oratex.

thx
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Having used Oratex, I can say, if you have any questions, ask Lars. He will be happy to tell you how to apply and integrate Oratex to your project.
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I believe we used polyester tape. I’d have to check what kind it was with Chris (Senior Moment). I just don’t remember. I’ll be talking to Chris tomorrow I also him if we put the Reinforcement on the tops of the ribs. I’m positive we put it on top of the fabric before we riveted it to the wings, because I have a picture of that. You must place a piece of polyester tape over each rib prior to rib lacing or before using whatever means of attachment you decide. Without this tape to reinforce the fabric, the rib lace, screw, etc. will cut right through the fabric and defeat the purpose of this entire step.

By the way if you are getting ready to cover the Aircraft versus using the non-stick sheets with the iron order one of their Teflon self stick sheets to put on the Iron. Chris got one for the last Oratex Planes and said it was a heck of a lot easier that using the sheet under the iron.
CanadianSheepHunter wrote:
AV8R Paul wrote:Well we completed cover the top of the wing, one down. We still have to do the tapes on the first wing, Chris wants to hold off and do all of tapes at one time. We cut the Oratex for both the top & bottom of the second wing. Chris had completed squirting some paint. Here are some photos.

Both Chris and I thought working with the Oratex was pretty easy. I had purchase seconds and there’s are some flaws in the material, but all in all two thumbs up. I liked it!
What is the name of the tape you are using there?...and did you use any tape over rivets before putting on Oratex?...I will be using Oratex.

thx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AV8R Paul
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

Page 9 of my Oratex thread

And no EXTRA tape over the rivets is NEEDED because of the glue - you should put a little extra glue on them before the Oratex tapes go on

I did not use the glue on the rivets but wish that I had. I think that it would have made for a smoother look around each rivet - that is the worst part of the whole thing - ironing around the rivets. If I do another one I will not use rivets. I will rib-stitch. The tail where I used rib stitching was MUCH EASIER to iron the tapes on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

BDA wrote:Page 9 of my Oratex thread

And no EXTRA tape over the rivets is NEEDED because of the glue - you should put a little extra glue on them before the Oratex tapes go on

I did not use the glue on the rivets but wish that I had. I think that it would have made for a smoother look around each rivet - that is the worst part of the whole thing - ironing around the rivets. If I do another one I will not use rivets. I will rib-stitch. The tail where I used rib stitching was MUCH EASIER to iron the tapes on.
Would you rib stitche @ each rivet location?...or would a guy want to space the rib stitches closer than that ?

Thx
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

The glue is good enough that you prob dont need anything - but not willing to risk my life on glue I would stitch using existing holes.
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

BDA wrote:The glue is good enough that you prob dont need anything - but not willing to risk my life on glue I would stitch using existing holes.
Yes I agree better safe than sorry
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Lars would say it’s good enough without stitching, or finishing tapes. However, when we were covered my wings, I told Chris I wanted both the rivets and finishing tapes. The reason was for resale & safety. When I decide to sell the plane, everyone would question the construction if I didn’t rivet, or rib stitch the wings and if I didn’t use finish tapes. Now I know the Oratex glue is extremely strong, but in my opinion I’m not willing to risk my life on a wing with the fabric just glued on.
AV8R Paul
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

You have to have a 1 inch wide Cap strip in order to have glue only. Anything less and it does not meet the TSO. It is certified in Europe on light sport. I assume it will be soon be certified here as well.
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

AV8R Paul wrote:Today was a busy day. I completed the Vertical Stabilizer hinge interface with the rudder, putting on the carbon fiber tapes, and sanded it. We installed the leading edge mount for the Horizontal Stabilizers, and drilled and installed bolts. Chris completed the of all four of the slats and I helped drill and riveting the 4 slats. We also completed the installation of the rear wall of the baggage area, we split the rear wall glassed a lip on the bottom section so we could pull out the top section of the wall to allow access for inspection & maitenance. We also installed the two side stringers and the top stringer just need hysol it into place.

Here are some photos from today:
Do you have any pics of your bottom stringer install?

Return to “Just Aircraft”