"NEW, OLD-STOCK" Highlander Extreme Kit FOR SALE

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
bluemax
Veteran Member

"NEW, OLD-STOCK" Highlander Extreme Kit FOR SALE

Post by bluemax »

Greetings All -

I hovered over the NEW TOPIC button for awhile, building the nerve to make his post. I am not known for "keeping it short," but I will attempt it.

I have decided, after seven years of waking up everyday and wondering if today was the day I would get started building my Highlander, that I will instead sell my kit, along with all the other purchased options. When I brought this kit home to Ohio from the factory, I basically inventoried every single part, placed everything in boxes and hung the big pieces on the walls of my man cave. That's where everything has remained, untouched, for 7 years.

I have $44,668 invested. That includes the Extreme complete kit with all of the obvious options (quickbuild, "set" wings to fuselage, deluxe interior, etc. Also includes a Honda Viking 110 hp engine with zero time, engine cowling, boot cowl, 29" Airstreaks, Pekola tailwheel, Dentz windshield, extra set of 8" Matco wheels and 21x12-8 bush tires). A new Highlander ordered from the factory, as close as I can figure it with identical accessories, would cost $53,929. That's almost a $10,000 difference. If I can't get out of it what I paid for it, I'll have to step back and consider my options. I'm not very happy with myself. :(

I am attaching a file with more info.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Max Rentz
Newark, Ohio
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Re: "NEW, OLD-STOCK" Highlander Extreme Kit FOR SALE

Post by Clark in AZ »

What stopped you from building it? Just curious. Good luck with the sale...

Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
bluemax
Veteran Member

Post by bluemax »

Clark in AZ wrote:What stopped you from building it? Just curious. Good luck with the sale...

Clark
Hey Clark,
I wish I had an answer for you. . . I just can't put my finger on it. I built a Tiger Cub from plans and loved every minute of it! I still have that plane. I am more frugal than I am procrastinating, so if I don't get a good price for it, I suspect I'll shame myself into building it anyway!
Max Rentz
Newark, Ohio
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Max, You are a great friend and have provided a wealth of information to me. Even though you haven't started your project you have contributed Immensely to mine. And I'm sure you will continue to do so.
To all those interested in Max's Kit; It is as he has stated. well kept and inventoried, with lots of extras.

Good Luck on the sale my Friend.

Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
marl59
Seasoned Member

Post by marl59 »

Bluemax, I'm interested. I'm anticipating retirement soon and want to build a Highlander. I own Steve Henry's original Highlander, "Yee Haw". I recently installed a Yamaha RX1 snowmobile engine in it and want to run the Yamaha Apex in the one I build so I wouldn't need the Viking engine.Would you sell the plane without the Viking Engine? Please reply to smarlin@design-workshops.com. Feel free to call me. My cell #
is 510 774-0653. Thanks! P.S. I tried to PM you but it wouldn't let me as far as I can tell.
bluemax
Veteran Member

Post by bluemax »

Hello Marl59,

As you wish, I will send a reply to the email address you listed. Thanks!
Max Rentz
Newark, Ohio
bluemax
Veteran Member

Post by bluemax »

Well folks,
It has been swell, but I have sold my Highlander Extreme kit to a more motivated builder. His name is Dennis Rowe, and I believe he has joined this forum. He came to Newark Ohio yesterday and picked up the Highlander kit, then trailered it back to somewhere in Pennsylvania. He did not take my Viking engine, as he has plans of putting a Yamaha Apex motor on it. . . who can blame him??

I suspect Denny will be very involved with this group as he begins the construction process. I will now set out to sell my Viking engine without the benefit of selling it together with the Highlander kit. I have discovered there are many, many more people that HATE Jan Eggenfellner's GUTS. . . than what I ever thought. Those RV guys that got screwed have long memories.

So I will probably remain a member so I can follow along as Denny accomplishes what I couldn't.... or wouldn't. I wish him all the luck, but I don't suspect he'll need much.
Max Rentz
Newark, Ohio
Dennis Rowe

Post by Dennis Rowe »

Hey Max, I just now came across this post and it put a smile on my face as I’m sitting here at work finally trying to figure out how to navigate this forum on my phone.
As you know I am far more active on the Facebook side as it’s the easy button.
Thanks again for ordering such a loaded kit, I’m really enjoying the build and look forward to enjoying flying it more.
If I get to understand this forum more I’ll try to utilize it more.
Regards
Denny

Return to “Just Aircraft”