CG and battery weight question

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
scubarider
Veteran Member

CG and battery weight question

Post by scubarider »

HI guys and gals,  Have jumped into building by escapade.  I am slowly getting all the missing parts to my kit.  Troy is very helpful.  I wish I could afford him to come and spend a month helping to build mine!  
Ok, have a question.  I mounted the ELT where everyone here has mounted theirs.  I asked about access to the battery and got some great ideas.  I bought a Odyssey 925 battery.  I wanted the cranking power for the 912S.  I am also going to direct hook a heater.  The problem is that it weighs 25 pounds.  That is pretty heavy that far back on the tail.  Was thinking about mounting it in the far back of the baggage compartment.  Any ideas from you experts?
Thanks in advance.
Dennis
Living life on the edge makes me dizzy.  I love Dizzy!
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

CG & Battery

Post by b1x4nqb »

Dennis,

I mounted mine behind the baggage but have heard some placing theirs under the panel behind the pedals.  Another has placed it in the baggage but be careful to protect the terminals.  I bought the Odyssey battery tray and mounted it behind with the crowd and I am thinking of making the rear baggage wall removable (maybe Heavy Duty Velcro) so I can get into the entire area for servicing.  The push pull tubes join in this area as well and so I can get to everything just about that way.

Paul
Paul, PA
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

I think the Odessy 680 is plenty of battery for this plane.  It weighs 15 pounds.  I do not think the extra 9 pounds is a good idea or necessary.  I think that the battery needs to be mounted in an area that supports it adequately.  There are no mounting tabs in the baggage area for the battery.  The odessy 680 is adequate to crank an 0-360.  I am not sure what you mean by direct hooking a heater, but you should be cautious using more amps than the alternator can provide.

Just my thoughts.

Dave
scubarider
Veteran Member

Thanks

Post by scubarider »

Thanks guys.  Am still thinking about it.   I appreciate the advise.  
D
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Re: CG & Battery

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

b1x4nqb wrote:Dennis,

I mounted mine behind the baggage but have heard some placing theirs under the panel behind the pedals.  Another has placed it in the baggage but be careful to protect the terminals.  I bought the Odyssey battery tray and mounted it behind with the crowd and I am thinking of making the rear baggage wall removable (maybe Heavy Duty Velcro) so I can get into the entire area for servicing.  The push pull tubes join in this area as well and so I can get to everything just about that way.

Paul
Am thinking about using RIVnuts on that aft baggae compartment Al panel for quicker and repeated access to tail cone and contents.
scubarider
Veteran Member

Here is a pic of what I did

Post by scubarider »

Here is a past picture of the location for the battery.
Dennis
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KevinC
Veteran Member

battery access

Post by KevinC »

FWIW - here's what I did.  I was going to use an aluminum cover for this hatch - but now I think I'll use lexan so I can see in at preflight.  I plan to cover the rear bulkhead in padded fabric (eventually, fer the wife...) attached with velcro.

k

Return to “Just Aircraft”