Is it just me?

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
scubarider
Veteran Member

Is it just me?

Post by scubarider »

:?   Is it just me or did any of you have as many missing parts as me?  It seems that every time I go to start a project I can't get it done because I am shorted a bolt or pin or etc.  I had over two pages of parts missing to start with and now am finding as I go through the baggies of parts I am short there too.  I talked to Troy last weekend after driving to pick up more parts and he told me what they do is simply order the "Escapade" package from Aircraft Spruce.  I am a 3 hour round trip away from Walhalla.  I can't keep going there over and over again for parts.  I guess I need a chill pill.  Just so frustrated.   I only have so much time as it is to work on my dream.   :cry:
Any words of wisdom?
Living life on the edge makes me dizzy.  I love Dizzy!
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

I ordered the economy bolt set and nuts and washer from the spruce catalog.  Part number 04-00105.  This is a 204 piece undrilled bolt assortment.  Add to that the washer assortment p/n 04-00135, and the nut  set, p/n 04-00330.  This will give you a supply of extra for the ones you loose, damage etc.  Also for the modifications you will end up making.  

I kept a list of missing items and called the factory regularly.  The ups man was here a lot.

Dave
KevinC
Veteran Member

missing stuff

Post by KevinC »

Ditto Dave -

I bought the same kits and would advise same (plus probably some machine screws as well). There are several things not included in the kit that you will need - especially if you deviate at all.  I keep a list going in the shop and make an order every 2-3 weeks.  So far I've received everything I needed from the factory with a call or two.  The UPS/Fedex guys both stop to check it out every once in a while, and my dogs don't even bark at them anymore... :wink:

Kevin
scubarider
Veteran Member

Feel better

Post by scubarider »

Misery loves company... 8)
I feel better now that I know it is not just me.  I guess I will do the same and keep a log of what I need and just call from now on and not take the long drive.  With so many kits not complete, I wonder if they are getting the hint that something needs to change.  I did look at the economy sets that they have at spruce.  I may end up going that route also.  Some of the pieces I am missing don't come from spruce though.  I still don't have my fuel tanks, seats, belts, most of the front wheel assembly, etc.  I think I will be calling Troy today.  
Happy Building  :lol:
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Ditto

Post by b1x4nqb »

Boy can I relate to your feelings!  I am very frustrated with all the missing bolts, nuts, pieces.  I can't drive over either(13.5hrs) each way!  I know Dave, you're a few days away.  Anyway, I call and e-mail every week for missing parts.  I waited months for some things.  Troy is always nice and says to call right away but I feel like a pest, always calling.  Like I'm complaining all the time.  Jamie, as nice as he is must be sick of hearing from me by now.  I must admit I'm not happy with having to call all the time and it is annoying but so far they have spent a ton on shipping all the parts and missing items.  I guess if they see that as a savings, I have no choice but to eat into their profit.  Once they understand that they are loosing enough money and they can save a lot by getting it right in the first few tries, they will invest in better organization.  The same goes for the build manual.  One more thing,  quite a few things have been changed that save JA money but provide for a cheaper alternative.  One example is that on the planes I saw before building, they had a solid rod in place of flexible wire under the elevators.  The escapade build manual even describes how to hook them up.  Well now we just get a few more feet of wire (non-stainless that is).  I'm not all complaints though.  I have been greeted by friendly people the entire time.  Troy, Jamie, Bob, everybody genuinly seems to want me to see a completion and seem happy to help me.  I just wish they would learn from our complaints.
Paul, PA
scubarider
Veteran Member

another page

Post by scubarider »

I called Jamie and Troy today.  I am faxing another sheet of parts missing to them tomorrow.  He said he may just fly them to me.  We will see.  So far I am also very disappointed in the instruction book.  Without all the pictures that I have taken and the expert help I have received here and at the builders' site I don't know what I would have done.  
I do keep dreaming of the "day" though when she heads to the sky and I  :P
Dennis

Return to “Just Aircraft”