Tall Guys and headaches

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Binker

Tall Guys and headaches

Post by Binker »

Hi All,

This is a general request to all the Highlander, SStol & Kitfox owners out there. I'm a 6'4" newbee pilot shopping by preference for one of these icons, but height concerns me. I've sat in a UK Eurofox and discovered that with any kind of seat cushion I have only 1" or so of clearance above my head, inside the poly roof which means headset and general safety are a concern. Measuring from the bare cushionless composite seat tray I get 39.5" / 99cm from lowest section to the polycarbonate roof at the rear (just in front of the sheet metal stringer where the turtle deck affixes). If anyone out there has 5 mins I would hugely appreciate knowing some numbers on other variants - it may be the thing that swings my purchase! Look forward to being part of this friendly community...
thanks Ben
stpilot09
Forum Regular

Re: Tall Guys and headaches

Post by stpilot09 »

Im 6-2 and always fly with a helmet in my SStol and have no clearance issues at all. Im not near the plane today, but i could get a measurement tomorrow. Someone will probably chime in with numbers. I've never been in a kitfox so I cant compare.

Tim
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Ben,
I'm 6'5" 250lbs and have built and owned two Highlanders of my own. When I was looking for a plane to build I had the same concern as you in addition to leg room. I can tell you that the Highlander has more head and leg room then any experimental I've seen, especially for big guys. With the seat in the last hole(a seat position that most pilot can't even get close to the petals :D) I had at least 4 inches of head clearance and could straighten out out my legs completely. It was so comfortable to fly and made long cross country flights something to look forward to. In contrast my cub has good headroom but the leg room is not nearly what there is in the Highlander. I also miss the side by side seating of the Highlander. So if you are concerned about head and leg room don't be :D
Steve D N419LD
957DK
Seasoned Member

Post by 957DK »

What Steve said!
I'm 6'4" and have more than enough leg and headroom in my Highlander.

Dan

Return to “Just Aircraft”