Mark iii - 18 gal?

For general discussion of the Kolb family of aircraft.
Includes: Firefly, Firestar, Mark III C, Mark III X, Kolbra, Sport 600, Slingshot, Twinstar Mark II, and Ultrastar
enewmen

Mark iii - 18 gal?

Post by enewmen »

Hi all.
I noticed there is no more 18-gal option for the Mark iii. Discontinued? On the Kolb website, there is also no more Mark iii Xtra. It's now called the Twinstar Mark III 2020 and a few more inches less width than the xtra.
I was looking for a kit that's an inexpensive 4-stroke (< $50k total), STOL, quickbuild ~300 hours, minimal side-by-side, and can fly out of a farm near 400 miles if needed. Maybe Kolb has that kind of plane or am I going down the wrong path?
There are many kits with a long range, but they take a lot longer to build and cost a lot more - mostly because of the engine and avionics.
Any ideas? I may need to rethink everything and build a larger E-AB plane.
I wanted to post here before calling Kolb.
Thanks!
planecrazzzy
Site Admin

Re: Mark iii - 18 gal?

Post by planecrazzzy »

My opinion is the "Marks" cost a pretty penny ...
I was surprised at the cost of the FSII
Over 20k when she first took flight . ( 2005 )

Plenty of LSA planes need rebuilding or gone through ...call it a kit
I would consider it a quick build kit.

That's my plan after my plans-built project .
searching for materials or parts is a chore ... like paperwork
(Mystical Madness - Miss Tickle Madness)
I do love my little FSII
I plan to keep it .
It's cheap to maintain and fun to fly.
(After, I was SO GLAD that chose the FS over the Mark .)
I know that I have the "building bug"...
What ELSE am I gonna do with all of these tools .
Builder / Flyer / Lucky to be here

Gotta Fly...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sometimes you just have to take the leap
and build your wings on the way down...
                Gotta Fly...
enewmen

Re: Mark iii - 18 gal?

Post by enewmen »

Hi. Thanks for the post!
I got the whole Kolb idea because I love flying and I'll buy a farm later. I thought it will be great to fly out of my barn (safely,legally,etc) without needing to drive to an airport and rent a hangar. Lots of pride with a home-built aircraft.
I did think about the FS (tandom)- a lot. My concern is range and TBO. I also thoght about Rans S21, Kitfox, gyroplanes, Vans with large tires, etc, but those cost near 100k. The Quicksilver Sprint is like a kite with a motor, but I read the Kolb flies like a real airplane
With a10 gal tank, I can fly to the next state, but I'll need to refill someplace with mogas.
I think the HIRTH 3202 will run fine if I take care of it, but the TBO is a lot less than a 4-stroke and a Rotax 2-cycle TBO is only about 300 hours.
Is there any TBO concern? Without TBO anxiety, the 2-stokes cost a lot less and lighter.

The FS does cost less than the Mark with about the same passenger/cargo space. I plan to fly solo 99% of the time anyway. I don't think I can find a FS for near 20k, but it should suit me well. Is a 300 hour (1 full summer) quick-build possible?
Any comments on 2-stoke TBOs? Are they a lot faster & cheaper to rebuild than rotax 4-strokes - not much of an issue? Can do it myself?
Thanks again.

Return to “Kolb Aircraft”