Garmin vs Dynon VHF radio

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Meatball
Forum Regular

Garmin vs Dynon VHF radio

Post by Meatball »

I was sold on the Dynon suite which includes the SV-COMM and Intercom until a dealer told me about a Garmin GTR-200 which is a radio/intercom all in one. Does anyone have any experience with either or both and can give me some guidance? I was trying to stay away from Garmin altogether. I just like the functionality the all Dynon suite gives the user and am unsure if the Garmin plays as nicely with an HDX Display...

Thanks all!!
~Rob
SuperFly
Veteran Member

Re: Garmin vs Dynon VHF radio

Post by SuperFly »

I can't speak to the Dynon offering, as I have no experience with it. But I can tell you that the GTR200 is a wonderful radio. I had an Icom A210 in a plane I bought, and I reworked the panel and installed a GTR200, a monumental upgrade. The clarity, range, incorporated audio panel, functionality, all magnitudes better than the A210. When building my SuperSTOL, I spoke with Stein and asked his opinion, and he told me hands down the GTR200 was the way to go (the GTR200 was brand new to the market at the time) I was very pleased with it, so when upgrading the panel in my S7 it was a no brainer.
Again, not knocking the Dynon offering in any way, it its likely (as are most of Dynons offerings) a very nice and worthwhile piece of equipment. As stated, I have no experience. I will commend you on your comment about going fully one manufacturer in your choices, that will give optimal functionality. Always a good choice.
Just wanted to share my experience with the GTR200.
Best,
Ben Schneider
Highlander #263 converted to SuperSTOL
N45FT Now Flying!
http://www.stolairplane.com
Meatball
Forum Regular

Post by Meatball »

Great! Thanks Ben
~Rob
FredHoffman
Veteran Member

Post by FredHoffman »

I like the Dynon System. It was very easy to install, really very close to plug and play. In my case it was zero calls to the factory on installation, and I barely read the manual, only for referencing for connector pinouts and programming some of the com setups. Very happy with Dynon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Meatball
Forum Regular

Post by Meatball »

FredHoffman wrote:I like the Dynon System. It was very easy to install, really very close to plug and play. In my case it was zero calls to the factory on installation, and I barely read the manual, only for referencing for connector pinouts and programming some of the com setups. Very happy with Dynon.
Great, Fred! Thanks. Good looking panel and much the same as what I am considering. Could I bother you for some close ups of just the left side of the panel? I'm trying to figure out switch placement and such and this will help a ton.
~Rob
FredHoffman
Veteran Member

Post by FredHoffman »

The switches are from an EXP Bus sold on aircraft spruce. From left to right, battery master,avionics master, strobe lights,nav lights, electric fuel pump, landing lights, pulse light, cabin lights, trim master. The large push switch on left is a starter switch, independent from ignition switches. On right is pitch trim rocker switch and indicator. Two warning lights upper left are battery not charging in amber and header tank low fuel in red any red warnings in dynon will also illuminate the red light. There is only one breaker for the rotax electrical output. It really is very simple and minimal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Meatball
Forum Regular

Post by Meatball »

FredHoffman wrote:The switches are from an EXP Bus sold on aircraft spruce. From left to right, battery master,avionics master, strobe lights,nav lights, electric fuel pump, landing lights, pulse light, cabin lights, trim master. The large push switch on left is a starter switch, independent from ignition switches. On right is pitch trim rocker switch and indicator. Two warning lights upper left are battery not charging in amber and header tank low fuel in red any red warnings in dynon will also illuminate the red light. There is only one breaker for the rotax electrical output. It really is very simple and minimal.
Looks good Fred! Thanks for sharing the photos. I’ll ask a question at the risk of looking like the dumb ass that I am. What is the tray with all the electrical on the back of the switches? Is that a standard thing?
~Rob
Meatball
Forum Regular

Post by Meatball »

Meatball wrote:
FredHoffman wrote:The switches are from an EXP Bus sold on aircraft spruce. From left to right, battery master,avionics master, strobe lights,nav lights, electric fuel pump, landing lights, pulse light, cabin lights, trim master. The large push switch on left is a starter switch, independent from ignition switches. On right is pitch trim rocker switch and indicator. Two warning lights upper left are battery not charging in amber and header tank low fuel in red any red warnings in dynon will also illuminate the red light. There is only one breaker for the rotax electrical output. It really is very simple and minimal.
Looks good Fred! Thanks for sharing the photos. I’ll ask a question at the risk of looking like the dumb ass that I am. What is the tray with all the electrical on the back of the switches? Is that a standard thing?

EXP BUS—Just looked it up. Interesting...
~Rob

Return to “Just Aircraft”