Aero classic 21/800-6 tundra tires

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Aero classic 21/800-6 tundra tires

Post by danerazz »

Anybody have a set of the aero classic 21/800-6 4-ply tires?

My kit came with 700-6, and I was thinking of something a little bigger for aesthetics and my field gets kinda soft in the spring (and about half of it isn’t really smooth), but $2800 for 26” bushwheels seems like overkill.

Curious what opinions are. Interestingly MOST photos I see (regular highlander) are either 26” or 29”.

Does anybody run 8.50-6 or the 21/800s?
Tralika
Veteran Member

Re: Aero classic 21/800-6 tundra tires

Post by Tralika »

My kit came with McCreary 21/8.50 x 6 tires. I used them while flying off Phase 1 so I could land on pavement. I sold them and bought 26" Airstreaks. The Airstreaks were just about the same weight McCreary's and work better off airport. The 29" tires are quite a bit heavier. If you are landing off airport on rocks bigger than your fist 26" will work fine. Landing on rocks as big as your head you'll want 29" tires or bigger. The bigger the tires the bigger penalty in weight and cruise speed. I'm guessing you have a nose heavy plane, the bigger tires will make it even more nose heavy. If you're not doing any serious off airport ops I'd stay with the 8.50's. Lighter weight and faster cruise will make up for how they look. If you decide you want to go bigger take a look at what Dresser has to offer. https://shop.desser.com/collections/tires/ Dresser doesn't list the weight on the website but that's something you'll want to ask about before you buy.
kenryan
Veteran Member

Post by kenryan »

A lot of the Zenith guys run the 21s, very few run bushwheels.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Yeah, I have the old 7.00-6 tires, was looking for something a little bigger, whether I need it or not.

Might look at the 22/8.50-6 tubeless.
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

Some of us are on Desser 27.5/10-8. They're comparable in size to the 26" Bushwheels tires, but are tubeless. They handle pavement very well, are lighter than the Bushwheels, and cost about half as much. Because they handle pavement so well, replacement is at much longer intervals, and costs a lot less.

The primary downsides are (1) they're tubeless, instead of a donut like the Bushwheels, and (2) you need 8" wheels; for new kits, the 8" Matco wheels can be ordered instead of the 6" Matco wheels at very little difference in price. If you already have 6" wheels, going to new 8" wheels and the Desser tires costs almost as much as a set of Bushwheels. After that, though, replacement cost is far lower. And they're still lighter.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... ey=5639028
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.

Return to “Just Aircraft”