Highlander Trim Settings

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
mhcrowder
Veteran Member

Highlander Trim Settings

Post by mhcrowder »

What is everyone's thoughts on the standard trim operation? Are you happy with being able to trim at various landing speeds and flap settings? Planning on measuring our trim tab angle again to make sure it is setup correctly. Factory calls for 5 degrees up and 30 (+/- 5) degrees down. We seem to run out of down trim.

==
MIchael Crowder
Tralika
Veteran Member

Re: Highlander Trim Settings

Post by Tralika »

When you say, "We seem to be running out of down trim", I assume you mean direction the trim tab deflects, not the nose of the aircraft trim up/down. I bet if you call the Just factory and ask about the trim tab range they will say something like, "You get whatever you get. We never check that". The trim tab moving up (nose down trim) is limited by the hinge mounted on the bottom of the elevator frame. You might be able to get the trim tab to move down a little more (nose up trim) by adjusting the control wire or adjusting the length of the trim lever but I doubt it will change much. I don't try to set the trim during my landing approach so I hold back elevator throughout the approach. This is not unusual in a taildragger. During a wheel landing you want to push the stick forward to hold the tail up so the nose down trim setting helps with that. Also, during a full power go-around the nose will pitch up dramatically if the trim is set nose up for the lower approach speed. This is not a big deal in a Highlander but in other planes with heavier controls it can turn into a wrestling match. In a plane like a C185 it gets pretty exciting. The Highlander control forces are so light that holding that little bit of back elevator during your approach will seem normal after a while. Getting it trimmed up during cruise is the most important thing. BTW, in case you find the need to hold a little bit of rudder pressure on your plane, you can make a trim tab from some left over lexan windshield material and attach it to your rudder with two sided tape. Works like a charm.
mhcrowder
Veteran Member

Post by mhcrowder »

You are correct, I meant nose up trim during slow flight and approaches. You're also correct in that it's not difficult to add a little stick pressure to compensate.

We'll keep the lexan trim tab tip for future use if needed. Thanks!

Michael
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

I was actually surprised that in cruise mine needs no rudder in either direction. It just seemed unlikely to me, but any other time I’m maneuvering and using the rudder so don’t notice.

As for elevator trim, I usually quit messing with it on downwind. As mentioned the elevator is so light I don’t notice the pressures (and I’m distracted by the freaking tall trees on short final).
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

My $.02 on the subject.

I only use the trim lever to adjust
for cruise. I never touch it otherwise.
As Tralika clarified, the controls are
so light, I'm good just holding the back
pressure. It helps me to keep my tasks
to a minimum.

The 182 is a completely different animal.
Full up trim on every landing is a must.

Return to “Just Aircraft”