SuperStol Issues

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
BDA
Veteran Member

SuperStol Issues

Post by BDA »

Lets have an honest discussion about things that aren't great about these planes - So that we can make them better.

The Super Cub has continually evolved over the last 70 some years - I believe the SuperStol is better - or can be made to be better.

This is a list of things I didn't like, and what I did to fix them, Please jump in and add your own - or why you wouldn't do what I did. My plane isn't for everyone - I built it for one specific thing - 300' one way strip of tundra hummocks, with trees on one end and river on the other. So some of the things I have done make it not as good for other things (cruise speed for one).

Stock Super Stol dis-likes: (this is my list - yours may be different, post it up)

- Flat tail stall when slow - Fix - Symmetrical Airfoil tail - Gives more tail authority, flies tail higher in cruise - increases gross weight cap.

- Slow flight imbalance, or tendancy to fall off on one side or "wander" a little when super slow - Fix - Flap fences, these work 100% better.

- Angle of attack on final too high - Fix - VGs in the flap cove, changed my over the nose visibility by 10 mph, and better slow flight.

- Take off rotation speed much higher than touch down spd. - Fix -Increase angle of attack on the ground, I made 12" longer gear and shocks.

- Hard to get into/ door sucks. - Fix - Build split door and move upper hinge down below the wing so the door doesn't hit you in the forehead.

- Wing loading on the XL. - Fix - Wing extensions, should be stock on the heavier XL.

- Cruise speed. - Fix (kind of) - Extreme windshield and airfoil tail make a faster/ more fuel efficient plane, Until you put 35s on it anyway...

- Visibility. - Fix - Lexan boot cowl, and Floor boards.

Add your thoughts please - cant' hurt my feelings.

And lets do this for the Highlander too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Re: SuperStol Issues

Post by danerazz »

Baggage door.

The baggage area is huge, and VERY deep. It is really hard to reach into the back to load/secure/unload stuff. Especially with bigger tires and/or longer gear. It really NEEDS a door in the side of the fuselage.
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

Yes, baggage door should be on every plane, the question is how big?

I made the standard top half door for mine, but it is too small. If I ever have a reason, I will cut it all the way to the floor, then you could reach in there all the way.

I did add an extended baggage all the way to the tail for light stuff, with a second door back by the tail. I can put a 12' board inside the plane, not that I will, but it is nice for fishing poles and skis.
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

Some other items that could use attention, Anyone got fixes for these?

Titan cooling issues with our cowling/ plenum?

Oil cooling?

Running out of rudder when SUPER slow?

Rivets sheering in the "headrack"?
marl59
Seasoned Member

Post by marl59 »

Running out of rudder:
I have strakes on the ends of my horizontal stab and installed VGs on the vertical stab on my Highlander. I have good crisp rudder control all the way into the full flap stall. But, I don't have as much of an arm ( longer wings, big Titan etc.) to swing around with the rudder. You may have them so FWIW.
marl59
Seasoned Member

Post by marl59 »

BDA, Could you please post a clear picture of where you placed the VGs in your flap cove? With measurements fore/aft on a point? I have 3 friends with SuperSTOLS that aren't members of this forum,(or any forum) that I would like to share this with. Thanks in advance!
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

marl59 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:37 pm I have 3 friends with SuperSTOLS that aren't members of this forum, (or any forum)...
We'd sure appreciate it if you'd recommend the WingsForum to them.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

marl59 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:27 pm Running out of rudder:
I have strakes on the ends of my horizontal stab and installed VGs on the vertical stab on my Highlander. I have good crisp rudder control all the way into the full flap stall. But, I don't have as much of an arm ( longer wings, big Titan etc.) to swing around with the rudder. You may have them so FWIW.
Yes, my comment on running out of rudder - I also have strakes and VGs everywhere, and longer wings, and airfoil horizontal and vertical tail. I only run out of rudder when well below 25 mph and VERY high AOA - like 45* +.

This is not really a "problem" per se, it is on the very extreme end of the flight envelope.

BUT - it IS the limiting factor for how slow I can fly. If I had more rudder I could go slower.

It may just be the tail is being "blanked" by the airframe at high AOA - but the effect is the same.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Just Aircraft”