TK1 Shocks Upgrade

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
turnnpoint

TK1 Shocks Upgrade

Post by turnnpoint »

Hi all - Noob here and first post.

I purchased a SS that came with Acme Aero shocks on it. I have a new set of TK1s, including the tailwheel shock.

Is the tailwheel shock normally installed with the fill valve down - so it is easily accessible? If I install it up I won't have any access to the valve without making some modifcation to the fuselage covering. And what's a good pressure for it?

TIA for any help!
turnnpoint

Re: TK1 Shocks Upgrade

Post by turnnpoint »

I got in touch with TK1 today and they said installing the shock upside down is not recommended. They said I may be able ro reach up and access the valve from the bottom once I open it up. If anyone has any advice/knowledge on the install they could share I'd appreciate it. I'd like to have everything planned and ready before I work on it so I don't end up with the plane out of service for a while. Since I didn't build the plane and don't have any build docs I don't know what to expect.
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

Are you in touch with the builder? That's probably your best source.

You might call the factory and ask what kinds of information they can provide, too.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

I put an inspection ring in the fabric, in line with the fill valve, so that I could fill easily.
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

I am running 300# on a big TK1 tail shock - but I fly with 2,100# occasionally - you want it to cushion the tail when dropped.

It should sag when loaded, if it is at full ride height, it is too hard on the airframe.

I ran the Acme almost flat, it would still cushion on landing but it was a low rider when I was taxiing.
turnnpoint

Post by turnnpoint »

Thanks for the replys!

Return to “Just Aircraft”