Aileron & Flap False Ribs

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
utpa001
Forum Regular

Aileron & Flap False Ribs

Post by utpa001 »

I was wondering where the false ribs should be located on the ailerons (and flaps, but I'm not that far on those yet).  I am confused about what the manual says, and I also have 40 false ribs - so I would assume 10 per control surface?  I appreciate any input.  Thanks also to DaveU for your help in the past.
Tim
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

The false ribs in the leading edge form the sides for the openings for the hinges and as support in the middle of the other rib bays.

When the leading edge is fit to the aileron, you mark the center of each rib on the leading edge, so that you know where to scuff up the surface for glue. You also mark the center of the bays that do not have a hinge in them.   Where ever there is a hinge, you need a false rib or rib on either side.  Measure 5/16" both ways from the hinge side, and put a false rib there.  This supports the leading edge  where the cutout for the hinge will be.  Hope the photos which are blurry, help a little.

Dave

utpa001
Forum Regular

Post by utpa001 »

Thanks for the quick reply again Dave, I appreciate your help very much.  It looks like then that you actually have to take some wood off the spar side of the false rib so it can fit on top of the hinge bracket.  Is that right?
Thanks,
Tim
Tim
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

Tim,  
I think you may have to relieve the false ribs to allow for the hinge.

Dave
KevinC
Veteran Member

follow up on the false rib question

Post by KevinC »

I am there now and after placing all of the false ribs in place I have 4 left over - which suggests I've missed one one each control surface.  The only place I could think another one would be placed would be next to the extreme inboard and outboard hinges - but they have a rib right next to them, so I only gave them one.  I've got two around each bellcrank, and two around the other hinge point and one in each bay.  Am I missing something?

K

DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

Kevin,
I think it sounds like you got it right.  I had a couple left over and the plane flys.  As long as there is one on each side of the hinges and in the middle of the other bays.  

you are making progress now.

Dave

Return to “Just Aircraft”