Quick question on bottom covering

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
scubarider
Veteran Member

Quick question on bottom covering

Post by scubarider »

I have read several places about putting on a heavier cloth for the bottomside of the fuselage.  Is this true?  They did not supply me with a heavier fabric.  
Could anyone help me with the inspection ring location and how to install them?
Almost done with the interior and ready to cover the fuselage.   :P

All my pics are 2.48mb and the limit here is 2mb.  I gotta shrink them!~~~
Dennis
Living life on the edge makes me dizzy.  I love Dizzy!
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

Dennis,
My kit came with medium poly fiber fabric.  I used that everywhere on the plane.  They used to supply medium for the belly, and the rest with light.  That is an item that changed.

I put inspection rings on the fuselage below the front horizontal stab socket both sides, I put rings at the rear horizontal stab for the elevator to stick out.

I put one ring on the bottom of the wing so that I could access the pitot tube connections.  That all the rings I used.  I put them on as per the directions in the polyfiber book.  Glue the ring to the fabric.  Then you cut a patch out of preshrunk, preglued fabric(a large coffee can is the perfect size).  I cut mine out with pinked edges.  

If you dont have the "how to cover and airplane" book from polyfiber, get one.

Dave
scubarider
Veteran Member

Thanks

Post by scubarider »

Thanks Dave.  I thought the fabric was fine for the whole plane.  Hopefully will be covering the bottom this weekend.  I don't have the polyfiber book but did get a "very old" video on covering.  
May I ask why you put rings on the front horizontal stab?  To check the bolts?  
Dennis
Living life on the edge makes me dizzy.  I love Dizzy!
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

The main reason I put the rings at the front of the horizontal stab, was that the build manual said to do so.  It would be helpful to allow changing the angle of incidence or just to check the item on the annual.

Dave
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Mine has Superflite SF 102 @ 2.7 oz/yd.
I don't know if it's lightweight or medium.
In any event I'll probably find a heavier stock just for the bottom surfaces for gravel and water spray durability.
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

I ordered and received additional, heavier fabric from the Stewarts water based paint system company for the under surfaces only.

If you have fabric for your plane already, make sure you tell them, as they may include that in their aircraft covering estimate.

Return to “Just Aircraft”