Inspection Ring Guidance Please

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
scubarider
Veteran Member

Inspection Ring Guidance Please

Post by scubarider »

I know this is an elementary question but I need some guidance please.  I plan on covering the fuselage this week and need to know the "how to" on inspection rings.  Some questions:
I was supplied with two rings.  You put one on the trailing edge of the stablizers and one on the leading edge.  Do you put one on each side of the fuselage?  If so I need two more rings.  
Do you glue the rings to the inside or outside of the fabric?
Do you cover the rings with tape?  Do you just use the poly-tak like the rest of the fabric?
For the trailing edge do you leave it open for the linkages?  Cover with plexiglass and cut out a hole?
Thanks in advance for you help,,,,,you guys are the greatest!
Dennis
:?
Living life on the edge makes me dizzy.  I love Dizzy!
scubarider
Veteran Member

doing some research of pictures

Post by scubarider »

Correct me if I am wrong but it looks like the inspection rings go on the outside of the fabric.  I looked at the Escapade pics I took in Wahalla and he does have plexi on the rear tail connection.  Does NOT look like any inspection rings on the front of the stab.  Once again any advice would be appreciated.
Dennis
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gary H
Veteran Member

Post by Gary H »

Dennis:
Put the inspection rings on over the fabric using poly brush(orange) then cut a piece of fabric and put over it. I cut round ones about 2 inches larger the the ring and I put them anywhere I might need to get into. I just don't cut them out until I need to get into that spot if ever. I am going to put more than two in my plane. I'll try to find some pictures.
Gary :roll:
Will fly for food!!
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

Here is a photo of the side of the rear fuselage on N973U.  You will note that there is a ring at the rear of the stab.  There is a ring below the front of the stab for access to the interior bolt for the front bracket.  There is a reinforcing patch on the fabric where the hole for the front of the stab will be cut through the fabric.

The ring is glued to the outsice of the fabric.  Then a reinforcing patch about the size of a 3# coffee can is glued over the ring.  This is then ironed smooth.  

The rear stab ring will get cut out for access to the elevator.  The inspection ring below the front attach does not need to be cut out unless you need access.  

You really need to review the fabric covering handbook before you cover the airplane.  buy one, borrow one, go to the local FBO at the airport and look through it.

Dave
scubarider
Veteran Member

THANKS

Post by scubarider »

Thanks guys.  Helps alot.  I will look for the covering book Dave.  I will try and post a couple pictures when I am done.
Dennis

Return to “Just Aircraft”