sad news

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
scubarider
Veteran Member

sad news

Post by scubarider »

I know that you guys don't really know me but since I have been on this forum for awhile I need to share with you some news.  I purchased my Escapade kit minus engine/instruments with money that I had saved.  I was selling my Quicksilver Sport 2S ultralight to pay for the engine etc.  I was teaching this guy and a few of his family members to fly.  I am a BFI.  The person buying my ultralight, paid for it yesterday with a check.  I flew him for 5 take offs and landings just to warm him up.  I got out of the plane to let him solo.  His wife and 14 year old son watching.  He took off, nosed it up to high, made a hard bank left and fell.  He hit the trees and a hangar.  He died.  He never had a problem taking off even the first time with instruction.  I am just so torn and lost.  We had plans for me to fly the ultralight to his home where he built a hangar and strip.  It is all just so sad.  
I am sorry to have to share this with you but I am in need to speak with fellow pilots for comfort.  I feel so bad for him and his family yet am scared that I may get sued for.....?  I have the check and need to cash it but.........?  I just don't know which way to turn.
Dennis
Living life on the edge makes me dizzy.  I love Dizzy!
Charlie Reilly

Post by Charlie Reilly »

tear the check up.
 Charlie R
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

That's probably the toughest scenario for a flight instructor to endure, on top of the sadness for the family and everyone concerned. I don't know what the PIC's prior experience was but, it sounds like you performed due deligence on the day of this flight accident.

If the sale had been made, recorded by written and personally signed check, then the aircraft's safe operation was the responsibility of the new owner. I keep double hard copies, in separate locations, of all important documents. The fact that you made 5 normal landings with him just prior speaks volumes. Hang in there.
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

I am sorry about the crash.  It was probably very traumatic for all who saw it.

My heart goes out to the family of the pilot.  

Just reminds us that flying is an activity that tolerates few mistakes.   We all assume risk everytime we fire up the plane.

Life is short,  live every day like it was your last.  Do the things you want to do.

Hang in there.

Dave
scubarider
Veteran Member

Thanks

Post by scubarider »

Thanks guys...
Dennis
Living life on the edge makes me dizzy.  I love Dizzy!
Gary H
Veteran Member

Post by Gary H »

Dennis:
I just sold my Challenger II, this guy had 27 hours loged in his bookin same aircraft. I have a short strip(700'), I told him NOT to take off and I would take it to the airport and let him have it. Well, he got in and took off anyway. It was the most terrifying 15 min of my life. I watched him almost crash several times. Once he had it in a flat spin only to pull it out at about 50"!! He did make it back, how, I don't know. He couldn't get out of the plane for about 3 min he was shaking so bad. I was really mad.
I can only tell you everything we do in this life for the most part we risk our lives. Flying any kind if plane is dangerous. But we choose to do so because this is how we want to live our lives. This is not your fault! If you felt he was ready then he was.
Cash your check. He would not want it any other way. Don't be to hard on yourself. Time will heal.
Gary
Will fly for food!!

Return to “Just Aircraft”