Landing/Taxi Lights and where I am now

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
scubarider
Veteran Member

Landing/Taxi Lights and where I am now

Post by scubarider »

Am starting to think electrical, panel, etc.  Anyone have landing lights on there Escapade/Highlander?  I looked at the ones on AS.  Did a search and really didn't come up with anything better.  Kinda pricey.  Any thoughts?
Dennis
p.s. Here is what I have so far completed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Living life on the edge makes me dizzy.  I love Dizzy!
scubarider
Veteran Member

another angle

Post by scubarider »

Here is another angle
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

I went with this self contained Xenon model that can be mounted extenally in a lot of places, with the 50 watt landing light beam :

http://www.aerovisions.com/hid/hid_products.html

The scattered light will probably be enouigh for taxiing, if not, I'll add something else.
scubarider
Veteran Member

Thanks Dave

Post by scubarider »

Thanks Dave, those are the same ones I was looking at from Aircraft Spruce.  They seem to be the best so far.  Probably just bite the bullet and put the money into one unless someone here comes up with a better alternative.
Where are going to mount yours?  I really don't want to cause any more drag than necessary.  Was wondering if there is room in the cowling?
Dennis
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

I don't like cowling mounts for lights because I've seen so many vibration problems but, the dealers of these types assure me these new fangled lights aren't nearly as suseptable. On the main gear legs or up on the wing strut is where I'll probably end up in any event.

Considering an internal mount inside the windscreen with a long enough cable to be handheld and aimed when taxiing on the water, and with black, glare shielding material in a cresentoid shape cut to the windshield curves after I get the unit to judge size. Their smaller unit would be more condusive to that experiment. Probably more trouble than it's worth even if it is workable.
scubarider
Veteran Member

placement of lights

Post by scubarider »

Dave,  I will probably go with your suggestion.  Most likely there is no room under the lower cowling anyway.  I thought about the landing gear legs, not about the wing struts though.  Thanks!
Dennis
scubarider
Veteran Member

Made decision

Post by scubarider »

Decided to go with some HID Xenon Driving fog lights made for a car.  I got them on ebay for $345 for a pair.  Much better price then what else I have found.  I plan on getting a friend to make up some fiberglass footings to mold into the bottom of the front cowling.  Should blend right in.  
Dennis
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

What's the wattage on those, Dennis?
scubarider
Veteran Member

fog lamps

Post by scubarider »

Here is the low down on the lamps:

Osram Sylvania Xenarc X1010 HID Xenon

Auxiliary HID Low Beam/Driving/Fog Lights

(Super white color)

The OSRAM SYLVANIA X1010 super small/thin ballast & built in ignitor bulb (D1S) results in the most compact High Performance Lights & easy installation. The X1010 beats the PIAA 2100 HID Driving Lamp Kit in both light output and cost PIAA is priced at $899.95 and up!
Osram Sylvania Xenarc X1010 High Intensity Discharge (HID) Xenon Lighting Systems create a new level for automotive lighting performance and safety. Never outdrive your headlights at night going fast or in bad weather. Delivering daytime lighting with less maintenance. Xenarc X1010 is True & Real HID, the innovative illumination that was once the exclusive domain of high-end imports like Audi, BMW, Lexus, Acura, Mercedes, or Porsche . It illuminates, by creating a whiter, more intense, brilliant light that obliterates the darkness.
Made By Osram Sylvania in the USA (bulbs & ballasts made in Germany
DOT & HIGHWAY APPROVED. The Osram Sylvania X1010 is 100% Street Legal

Ultra low profile design allows for easy installation and a multitude of applications for today’s sport car and truck enthusiasts. Sylvania\'s new smallest ballast greatly enhances the price to performance ratio of HID technology. Lowest cost compared to PIAA, Raybrig, and most competitive brand names.

The X1010 kit includes:

2 HID Auxiliary Low Beam Assemblies (D1S bulbs made in Germany)
2 Electronic D1 Ballasts (made in Germany)
2 Remote Controls (Use 1/keep other as spare)
2 Lamp Mounting Brackets
2 Stainless Steel Ballast Mounting Brackets
One Remote Wiring Harness (no need to drill thru firewall)
All necessary mounting hardware & instructions in English, Spanish, French (also on Adobe pdf file on our site or Sylvania.com)
Lamp dimensions:

6" wide
4 3/8" depth
2 1/2" height

I believe that they are 35watts which is really different from the regular watts from a halogen.
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Well sealed & low weight?
Last edited by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES on Mon May 28, 2007 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scubarider
Veteran Member

not sure

Post by scubarider »

not sure of the weight but from what I have read it is tightly sealed.  I found several RV builders that have used these in their wings.  Still thinking on the cowling location.
Do a search about these lights...there are loads of sites.  
Give me another 100 years {it seems  :cry:  } and will let you know how they work on a running aircraft!  
Dennis
Gerald V9

Landing Lights?

Post by Gerald V9 »

Hey Boys,
    Are you planning on flying at night or just taxing around in the dark?   I'm thinking, unless you shovel out the extra cash for the instrumentation and the engine why carry the extra weight?
                                                                                               Gerald V9  #125
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

No doubt about night flying into unimproved airstrips and beaches, plus IFR flying in my case. Past experience has repeatedly shown that there is seldom a time with too much light in those situations and many others.
scubarider
Veteran Member

night flight

Post by scubarider »

I don't plan on any IFR flights.  With a sport pilot's cert I can't.  I do plan on taking off and landing as early/late as possible sometimes and will need alittle extra light on the grass field.  It will be worth the extra weight and time mounting them.  I would rather have them and not need them, then not have them and need them.
Dennis
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

Do we really have to spend that much for lights???

I have been toying with putting lights in the end of
the front spars. I asked Troy about it & he said it was
OK to do this.

I have aquired a set of 55 watt halogen driving lights,
& with a little relief on the spar ends & the glass wing tips,
I hope to be able make a clear flat wrap-around lens to
enclose them.
 I going to slick my plane up as much as possible to
get the best cruise. That's why I want my lights inside.
Troy or Jamie had mentioned mounting lights on the
nose gear bronze bushings, but I think this would
cause vibrational issues.

I hope my description makes sense...

Johnny C!
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed

Return to “Just Aircraft”