How much paint do I need?

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Uwe Jens
Seasoned Member

How much paint do I need?

Post by Uwe Jens »

Hi guys,
I am finally in the shipping process of my kit and I want to do a single importation kit/paint/extras.  Could anyone help me with the amount of paint I need in the different covering and finishing systems (polyfiber, superflite, etc) .  I will be extremely thankful with your help.
Uwe/. :P
scubarider
Veteran Member

superflite

Post by scubarider »

What you could do is go to:  www.superflite.com and request a package price.  They will send you exactly what you need.  Not sure about any others.
Dennis
Living life on the edge makes me dizzy.  I love Dizzy!
Uwe Jens
Seasoned Member

Post by Uwe Jens »

Hi Dennis,
I received already a superflite covering quotation, they recommend me the following:
2 GAL SF6500-01 PRIMER BASE
16 PT SF 6600-08 PRIMER CATALYST
8 PT SF6700-08 FLEX AGENT
2 GAL SF6820-01 PRIMER REDUCER
3 GAL SUPERTHANE VI COLOR
6 PT SF6950-08 COLOR CATALYST
2 GAL SF-MEK
1 GAL SUPERWASH
I revised the list and I don´t know if I need also a primer for the fiberglass parts, some pieces of metal, etc.  There are things I´m not clear with, like in polyfiber it is used the polyspray to block the UV light, I don´t know how the superflite works in this aspect.  The quantity in the polyfiber liquids recommendations for a kitfox or Avid are enormous! This is the reason I am asking for recommendations in people with experience in using these products, since I don´t want anything missing or leftovers once I start with the painting job on my kit.  If you know of someone that has had this kind of experience already please help me.
Another question, in the kit comes all the reinforcement fybertapes?
Good luck on your project and thank you.
Uwe/.
scubarider
Veteran Member

sorry

Post by scubarider »

Sorry but I have not ordered my kit yet so can't tell you how much is left over or if it would be short and have to order more.  I can tell you with your JA kit you get all the fabric and reinforcement tapes so you don't have to order them.  You also get the glue etc.  You will have to buy some MEK though.  Roughly 2-3 gallons for covering the plane.  
Sorry can't be of more help.
Dennis
Living life on the edge makes me dizzy.  I love Dizzy!
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

Regarding the paint.

I used Superflite.  The list you have is the same as what I ordered, except, I only bought one gallon of the SF6820 reducer, and used only about a quart at the most.  If you can buy your MEK locally, do not buy it from superflite and pay shipping.  I ended up using about 5 quarts of the glue (I may have used too much).  I did purchase the epoxy primer for the metal and fiberglass parts.  Part number SF10-04 primer, and SF320-04 catalyst.  This is a quart of primer and a quart of catalyst.

This gave me enough of all the products to put the finish on the plane.  Some of each left over, but just a little.

Dave
Uwe Jens
Seasoned Member

Post by Uwe Jens »

Thanks Guys,
Thanks for your information Dave, I will include in my list the Epoxi Primer and its catalyst and some glue liters.  I hope it will be enough for everything and I will be bothering you guys with a bunch of questions.
Thanks again,
Uwe/. :)

Return to “Just Aircraft”