$%^&* missed calculated on cutting

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
scubarider
Veteran Member

$%^&* missed calculated on cutting

Post by scubarider »

Kinda hard to cut things longer... :(   I measured and of course cut every one of the four busings to fit the wing doublers short.  Almost a 1/4 in short.   :cry:
I believe I have a fix though.  Am going to bend some large washers and mount them in there.  Will not need to glue the rear but maybe the front for when I fold the wings.  
:x   I hate making mistakes like that!
Anyone want to share any of yours?  Oh right.....you guys DON'T make mistakes   :wink:
Dennis
Living life on the edge makes me dizzy.  I love Dizzy!
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Mistakes

Post by b1x4nqb »

Dennis,

I've made plenty but the one that comes to mind was mounting my tanks while they were on saw horses.  Found out after they were good and dried that the wings would not mount up on the headrack.  Had to remove the tanks, mount the wings then reset the wing tanks in place and let them cure on the headrack.  Of course they fit perfect now but it took me about 4 man hours to remove all that silicone.  And breaking it free was a nightmare!  Used putty knives and a razor slowly breaking the bead deep in that curved groove of the spar.  What a mess!  I should have followed the book instead of someones directions!  It was one of the first things I did so I have been careful since to follow the book when directions are available but I still make mistakes weekly on little things.  Nothing major though, just things that are easily fixed.  First plane so I expect this type of thing.

Paul
scubarider
Veteran Member

Yep...

Post by scubarider »

I know what you mean....I put in the butt ribs today and the tank yesterday.  I was lucky and had several folks tell me about mounting the tanks.  I cut the holes out for the gas line alittle too big and of course one end on the rear bracket did not fit for a rivet.  So I improvised and did the one rivet and mixed some JBweld and glued the other side to the spar.  What a mess....but, I am sure it is not the last mistake I will make.  :cry:
Dennis
scubarider
Veteran Member

Talked to Troy

Post by scubarider »

Talked to Troy about cutting the bushings too short to fit the doublers.  He said no problem just put in some washers...that is what I planned on doing.  He also suggested if you don't plan on folding the wings {which I really don't}, just put in bolts.  He suggested this because after awhile the pin hollows out the spar holes.  Thought someone might want to know.
By the way just finished up the ailerons, still have to cover though.
Dennis
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Are you going to use epoxy plus a few rivets placed so that the wings' spars will still slide in to secure the bent washers?
scubarider
Veteran Member

washers

Post by scubarider »

Dave, I don't plan on putting anything.  The rear washers will not be moved because the bolts will hold them even if I do fold the wings back.  The fronts are a different story.  I may put just a little epoxy on them just to hold them up.  Or, I could just when I remove the bolt to fold them back reach in and grab them.  
How's your plane coming?  Where are you at on the building process?
Dennis
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

The engine mount is being welded up today & tomorrow, then they'll fire it up on the test stand with turbo & electric prop and then ship it to me. I'm just about to do the wing mounting you did here, and have been skipping around a little bit on some other things.

Have some help coming in for a big push on construction in late June and July, then launch off the water in August.
scubarider
Veteran Member

WOW

Post by scubarider »

Wow Dave, sounds like you are getting real close.  Seems like forever until I am up in the clouds again  :cry:
But, one day {and bolt} at a time!
Dennis

Return to “Just Aircraft”