Tools

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Tools

Post by b1x4nqb »

I was just wondering where everyone picked up their reamers from?  They are very pricey for a small tool but it apears an essential one.  One company I found called ICS cutting tools totalled up to about $160.  I didn't find them in either Aircraft Spruce or Wicks unless I overlooked them.
Paul, PA
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Harbor Freight

Post by b1x4nqb »

Well,

I might have answered my own question but I thought I might as well let everyone know I just paged through the latest edition of Harbor Freight and they sell a set (don't know if it included what I need) but they sell for something like $60.  Much better deal but probably also cheaper quality.  Might be good enought for one project anyway.  Anybody else have input?
Paul, PA
dauckjl
Seasoned Member

Reamers

Post by dauckjl »

We got our reamers from Grainger.  I don't remember what they cost but they worked great.  We didn't get a full set, just looked throught the manual and ordered the individual ones that we needed.  

Justin
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Grainger

Post by b1x4nqb »

Justin,

I believe I spoke to you last week with Jamie down at the factory.  I'm glad to hear Grainger may be of help.  I'll look them up online and see if I can order.  Love your site.  It is a big help!  My frame should be done tomorrow then it is off to powdercoat.  I'll find out this afternoon if it can be done before the holiday weekend.  It doesn't look promising so far with so many people doing the same thing.  If not, I'll drive back down next week to pick it up along with the rest of the stuff.  I'm going to try using just the pickup truck and they said they could load the large pallet into the back strapping it all down inside the wood.  Because I already have the cowlings, wing tips, etc. the remainder is all tough enough for the tighter packing.  We'll see.  Again, thanks for the reply.

Paul
Paul, PA
dauckjl
Seasoned Member

Reamers

Post by dauckjl »

Hey Paul,
 Glad to hear everything went good down at the factory for your visit.  It is definitely awesome to finally get that kit, hopefully yours comes through soon.  
Once you get your reamers and it is time to actually start reaming, you might want to check out KevinC's post on reaming(http://www.wingsforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3071).  Little things with reaming can really cut some time out.  I know Tim said he is buying some type of Craftsman sander to get the powder coat out of the lift strut brackets.  I would highly recommend finding an efficient way of getting the powder coat out of those areas.  A couple of the more frustrating things were getting the powder coat out of the ruddercable guides and getting it off of the inside of the lift strut brackets.

Good luck on getting your kit, let us know when you get it!!

Justin
pdeinin

Post by pdeinin »

I bought some reamers cheaply from Grizzley.  The only problem is that they have no taper.  They worked for most things, but I found that a couple of bridge reamers (with a front taper) that I got from MSC (Mannhattan Supply Corporation) worked great on the bigger things.

I continue to try out new reamers and found some really reasonable ones at www.hermanscentral.com.  They are for manual use and they have a slight taper in the front that lets them center themselves nicely in the existing hole.
Last edited by pdeinin on Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prescott
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

I often ended up using some small files of various sizes at lower RPMs in the Dremel & drills. A minute eccentric axis of rotation can be helpful at lower RPMs but, high RPM will bend and fling the file at high velocity...
Also, thin, chainsaw sharpening stones and other round grind stones with the Dremel on flexible driver was often used inside sleeves.

Return to “Just Aircraft”