Greetings From Ontario

Welcome to the FORUM. The purpose of this forum is to "formally" introduce yourself to other members. Please tell us about your flying, hobbies, interests, etc. etc.
Gordon Arnaut

Greetings From Ontario

Post by Gordon Arnaut »

Hello to Sean and all participants on this new forum.

I commend Sean for starting this forum and I hope he continues to recruit participants from Yahoo and elsewhere in order to build participation here.

By way of introduction, I am a journalist who covered the technology industry for many years, and have worked for The New York Times and Canada's Globe And Mail.

I live about an hour north of Toronto on a 50-acre farm which has enough space for an 1100-foot strip with unobstructed approaches at either end.

I currently have plans to build a Jodel F11A, an all-wood, low-wing monoplane designed originally in France, but modified by Canadian aero engineer Chris Falconar.

For those who aren't familiar with Jodels, they are probably the only certified plane in the world that can also be amateur-built entirely from plans.

There are thousands of certified Jodels flying in Europe and they have a very faithful following, owing to their great flying qualities. And there are hundreds more that have been been constructed by amateurs all around the world.

Before I get under way with my Jodel I plan to build a simpler plane that I can finish more quickly. It is a single-seat all-wood, high-wing monoplane design created by Roger Mann called the Ragwing RW-11.

As a newcomer to amateur-building I have spent the last year or so researching designs, engine options and the many other aspects of airplane construction.

I am just now setting up shop in a spacious garage of a new house that I have built on my property, and which I am still finishing. I plan to get under way with selecting and cutting wood shortly and hope to build a website with my progress log.

I currently subscribe to several groups on Yahoo: Jodel, Airsoob, AirVW, Volksplane, and Vairplanes, as well as the Ragwing group which is separate from Yahoo.

I can recommend all of these groups: there are many helpful and knowledgable enthusiasts and lots of good information in the archives and in files.

I will be posting on the wood airplanes section here and look forward to getting some discussion going.

I also have some pdf files on the subject of wood airplanes that might be helpful that I would like to make available if possible. (Perhaps Sean can reply)

Regards To All,

Gordon Arnaut.
Gordon Arnaut
Johnny luvs Biplanes
Forum Regular

Post by Johnny luvs Biplanes »

Hi Gordon
Building a Jodel is a great project, here in the UK we love them.
Great to fly and rugged plus dependable, can't go wrong!
Please share out the wood data files you have, I'm going to be building a wooden biplane next year.
John
Go love a biplane today :)
Gordon Arnaut

Post by Gordon Arnaut »

Hi Johnny,

I don't know if there is a files area here to post those pdf files. I'm hoping to hear from Sean on this.

I have Chapter 1 of AC43.13b, which deals with wood aricraft.

I also have a number of NACA Technical Reports on subjects from wood selection to wood ribs, plywood shear webs in spars and much more.

These are mostly from the 1920s and '30s, the heyday of wooden aircraft, but they are still the definitive technical data on wood aircraft construction.

If there is no way to post those files here, I can either email you the material you are interested in or give you links where you can download them yourself.

Regards,

Gordon.
Gordon Arnaut
Sean_Caranna
Founder

Post by Sean_Caranna »

I will try to have the file upload modifications done by monday. Baybe sooner. I'll let you know when it is done.

Sean Caranna
"I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having."
Sean_Caranna
Founder

Post by Sean_Caranna »

The attachments mod is installed. Let me know if you have any problems with it.

When you post AC43.13b please put it here: http://www.wingsforum.com/viewforum.php?f=36
It's the Wood Construction Tech. Forum

Thanks,

Sean C. Caranna
"I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having."

Return to “Introductions”