4 cyl,115HP Suzuki bed mounted, turbo/intercooled engine PIX

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

4 cyl,115HP Suzuki bed mounted, turbo/intercooled engine PIX

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

From Jeron @ Raven Redrives INC:

Just a quick update to let you know how things are progressing.  Did an internal inspection on the second engine bottom end once we had the oil pan off for modification. No metal particles in the oil pan or oil filter after cutting it open for a typical aircraft type inspection.  All connecting rod bearings and crank journals checked AOK and will plasti-gauge clearance limits upon reassembly. This engine checked 150+ on each cylinder cold (after sitting for a few weeks out of the car) at this altitude of 7200 feet so we know the top end is in good condition.  

We have been working very hard to bring your project to completion.  I am attaching a couple photos from earlier in the week (with layout on an old engine core before painting) so you can see how nicely the layout is coming.  It is always a very detailed process to get the motor mount to fit around all the accessories and each new mount design takes a lot of reworking to get everything to layout correctly.  With turbo it is even more of a challenge as there has to be allowance for oil line in/out, air inlet, exhaust routing in and out, and then the ram air outlet to the intercooler. We now have everything worked out and are pleased with the way it is all fitting together.  Final engine mount came in at just under 14lbs. - which was a pound less than projected.

Mount is now complete and we finished the additional two holes at the top according to your measurements. It will be painted today.  Oil pan has been reworked (deeper sump to match new 35 degree engine angle, front cutaway to clear exhaust crossover, and turbo oil drain fitting) and will be welded and leak tested today.  Intake manifold/reduction drive assembly is now complete and will be final welded and painted tomorrow.  Engine block has had all modifications and prep done to it and will be painted as soon as the oil pan is complete.  Next week we begin final assembly of all components to put the complete package together.

Have been too focused on the routing of all components this week to get with Warp and spec in the prop.  Will call them later this morning and revise the total so we can get final payment.  Turns out we just had to get the complete turbo layout worked out to really proceed with all the final oil pan and engine mount details.  With the complexity of the Highlander mount, it just worked out to put it all together with turbo upgrade first before running it on the test stand.

Wish I had the time to attend Arlington this year.  Am only going to Oshkosh for a couple days to give my educational seminars.  I will call to check in with the total due later today.    Jeron

Photo 300 is left side of the installation, 301 is right side, turbo location is mocked up in 305, and intercooler layout is mocked up in photo 307.

On 7/5/07 7:08 PM, "david krall" <pilotdjk@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi Jeron,

Not trying to rush you or anything but have you recieved the Warp Drive prop? Let me know the adjusted payment when you figure it out & I'll send your check if that works for you.

BTW, Are you going to EAA Arlington Flyin next week?

Dave

Per some requests, this is the raw mounting:
Attachments  Attachment scanning provided by:  

Files:    

S3500300.JPG (140k)  Scan and Save to Computer  
S3500301.JPG (138k)  Scan and Save to Computer  
S3500305.JPG (139k)  Scan and Save to Computer  
S3500307.JPG (141k)  Scan and Save to Computer

Gary H
Veteran Member

Post by Gary H »

Hi Dave,
Looks heavey!! What does that beast weigh?
:roll:
Will fly for food!!
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Gary H wrote:Hi Dave,
Looks heavey!! What does that beast weigh?
:roll:
We scratched the inflight adjustable prop (because the amphib configuration is so draggy it very well may be at climb prop all the time anyway) so it's now at about 220 FWF with the ground adjustable Warpdrive and will always be on amphibion 1650 floats, so there's some leeway with CG & CB.

Return to “Just Aircraft”