Covering the Wings

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Gary H
Veteran Member

Covering the Wings

Post by Gary H »

Dang this is fun!!     :o
Will fly for food!!
scubarider
Veteran Member

Hey !

Post by scubarider »

Hey  :shock:  How did you get ahead of me????
but, I do have all the tail feathers covered  :P
Should be covering the ailerons and flaps this week.
pics to come!
D
Living life on the edge makes me dizzy.  I love Dizzy!
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Looks most excellent. What size/type rivets are you using to hold the fabric to the ribs?
Gary H
Veteran Member

covering

Post by Gary H »

Only thing left to cover is the fuse. Well, I am welding plates in the elevator so I can balance them. Will post some pictures before covering. I also put a couple of stiffeners in so the covering won't pull the ends in.  I just called Spencer aircraft and told them I wanted fabric rivets. I got 1000 of them.   :D
Will fly for food!!
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Re: covering

Gary H wrote:Only thing left to cover is the fuse. Well, I am welding plates in the elevator so I can balance them. Will post some pictures before covering. I also put a couple of stiffeners in so the covering won't pull the ends in.  I just called Spencer aircraft and told them I wanted fabric rivets. I got 1000 of them.   :D
After I ordered a 1000 from them, the sales guy called me back, concerned that the FAA inspector would not approve riviting into wooden ribs because the hole would be a place for moisture to initiate delamination of the plys and therefore be unsafe.

I mentioned that I thought I'd drop some marine sealer into each hole first, then maybe even a drop of epoxy right before the rivet was placed, which he thought would be OK but didn't know for sure.

What meathod did you use? Any history or guys with experience? Thanks for posting.
scubarider
Veteran Member

first time

Post by scubarider »

It is my first time with rivetstiching.  The guys at Wahalla have been doing it for years.  They have never had a problem passing inspection.  When you apply the sticking tape first then the aluminum rivet then the glued tape then the regular glued tape not sure how water can enter.  The bottom would be more likely though.  I bet if you applied a drop of epoxy to each rivet that would take care of it.  Is an idea.
D
scubarider
Veteran Member

Gary

Post by scubarider »

Gary, what kind of leading edge do you have?  Looks like a point there where you are ironing in the first pic?  
D
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Re: first time

scubarider wrote:It is my first time with rivetstiching.  The guys at Wahalla have been doing it for years.  They have never had a problem passing inspection.  When you apply the sticking tape first then the aluminum rivet then the glued tape then the regular glued tape not sure how water can enter.  The bottom would be more likely though.  I bet if you applied a drop of epoxy to each rivet that would take care of it.  Is an idea.
D
Do you have a name & phone # for the guys at Wahalla? I'd like to pick their brains if they've been doing fabric riveting. Thanks Again.
scubarider
Veteran Member

names

Post by scubarider »

You have several there who could help.  There is of course Troy, then Tim.  The number is:  1-864-718-0320
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

I second the question about the leading edge.

Whatcha got there?

Johnny C!
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Re: names

scubarider wrote:You have several there who could help.  There is of course Troy, then Tim.  The number is:  1-864-718-0320
Oh THAT Wahalla...
Of course I have their # already but thanks anyway and sorry for the 'duh' moment!
Gary H
Veteran Member

covering the wing

Post by Gary H »

I used the same tape they have been using for about three hundred years. Put the rivets thru the wood just the same as they did on all Taylor crafts of any other plane with wood ribs. I think it will out last me  :roll:  anyway, if water gets in there you better get your life vest on! I got the leading edge from Kit Fox. I think I was lucky, he won't sell it anymore unless you buy his kit!@%$^%$ go figure??? I am trying to find someone to make some more. OH, I am having some more fabric plates made if any body needs a set. I put the wife to work to,,, This is so much fun I should have bought two of these kits!   :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Will fly for food!!
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

How much do you think the leading edges will add to your cruise?

Any other benefits?

They look great!

Johnny C!
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
Gary H
Veteran Member

leading edge

Post by Gary H »

I don't think it will change the cruse speed. I am hoping it will effect the stall speed. Making the air move smoother the top of the wing.  Looks a whole lot better. Looks more like a leading edge should. A buddy of mine is building one near me, he can't get the leading edge so will see if it makes a difference or not.
Will fly for food!!

Return to “Just Aircraft”