Autopilot for the Highlander?

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
ftcaruso
Seasoned Member

Autopilot for the Highlander?

Post by ftcaruso »

OK, OK.  I already know the response.  “What a candy-ass this guy is.  What Highlander pilot wants  to fly with an autopilot?”   And you are, of course, correct.  Half the fun is handling the stick.  However, on some of my longer (4 hour+) flights it would be nice just to be able to relax and enjoy the scenery leisurely going by.  Thus my question...Is anyone out there also a “candy-ass”?  I know that at least one Highlander went out of the factory with a tru-trac autopilot installed.  My Dynon AP is now in, and I am wondering if anyone built a mounting bracket fabrication for a capstan driven servo(s)? If so, some general info and perhaps a photo or two would greatly ease in this trial and error task.
Wes
Premium Member

Auto Pilot

Post by Wes »

Frank,
I guess I will be one of those "C-A's", because I plan on building in at least a 'wing leveler' to give me roll stability.
And since my Dynon has kindly provided a firmware upgrade to drive AP servo's!!! I love Dynon!
I gather from your post that you already have one of the capstan servos which they didn't have availble last time I checked.
I was all ready to design a 'lever arm' type interface with my aileron cable since that was the only servo availble at the time.
I had planned to pick up a servo at Sun-N-Fun to do some fit checking for possible mount locations, but I didn't.
It looked like it might be possible to find a spot under the seats, if not, then on the 'cross wire' between the wing pivot bolts.
Let me know what you come up with and I will do the same. Have a good trip out west, anxious to read your blog.

Wes
Kit # 95
Low and Slow - The only way to go!
Wes
Premium Member

Auto Pilot Update

Post by Wes »

A long ways from flying, but I think I have a roll servo mounting position that will work.
The pic shows the servo under the right seat and attached to the aileron cable.
I still need to fabricate a bracket for the servo, but the cable travel and capstan rotation seem to be about right.

I know, I know, Lynn, - I should be working on my wings, but this auto pilot is fun stuff.
Actually, I have the firewall about finished and should be able to crank the engine in the next couple weeks.

CAA's   (Candy A__'s Anonymous)

Wes
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kit # 95
Low and Slow - The only way to go!
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

OMG, just hold the stick  :!:   :lol:
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
rmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rmullins »

You might want to check with the factory. When I was at Oshkosh, Gary had an autopilot installed in the (very) black plane...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rick Mullins  #144
Cincinnati, Oh
ftcaruso
Seasoned Member

Autopilot servo photo

Post by ftcaruso »

Wes--  Sorry for the delay in thanking you for the photo of the servo mounting location.  I was away on a river cruise in the Ukraine last month (see my photo blog http://www.haveplanewilltravel.infofor some pictures of a LSA made in Kiev, that I had hoped to have flown while over there, but which flight was “nixed” by their Air Force).  I will be having to go out on some work projects for the next month or so, and hopefully by the time I return my auto-pilot will be up and running.  If everything works out as hoped, I will post a couple of photos as well, and maybe even a critique of its flying characteristics.

Frank

Return to “Just Aircraft”