New to Group

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Fabergoose

New to Group

Post by Fabergoose »

Guys/Gals,

I am new to the group.

I built a Kolb Mark III in 1996 and flew it all over the US. I pulled it out of service in May of this year after an incident in Monument Valley, Utah.
I started building an RV-7 in 2001 and finished it in March of 2007.  I now have 620 hours on it.

But, I miss my slow flying Kolb so I purchased a Highlander Quickbuild Kit at Oshkosh this year and spent two weeks at the plant assembling the wings in September.
I own a Rotax 912ULS (from the Kolb) but am considering the Jabiru 3300 for the Highlander.  Also, I am going to install the Grove landing gear and have them on order.
The other thing I am considering is a BRS Parachute.  I also own one, a 1050 VLS with 6 years on a repack.  I most likely will have to sell it and buy one more suitable for the Highlander.  I can't find anything on the Forum where anyone else has done this.

Any coments?

Gary Haley
Dry Creek Airport (TS07)
Cypress, TX
Fabergoose
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Welcome aboard Gary.  I too came from a low and slow background flying a Quicksilver Sport 2S.  I actually built the Escapade to be able to go some faster and fly in the winter months.  I really am enjoying the 100mph cruise and the slooowww stall.  I would think that you could put a chute on the highlander.  I would recommend the hardcase model and strap it to the turtledeck through to the frame.  I have not heard of anyone doing this though.  My plane has a rotax 912uls.  It is a bulletproof engine but does have the hard start problem.  I am working on that.   :?
Glad you are here!
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

Gary your gear was shipped today I talked to Grove a couple of times  Jak
Gary H
Veteran Member

Welcome

Post by Gary H »

Welcome Gary, you are going to love your highlander. I come from the old super cub background. This is really close!
I put a jabiru 3300 in mine and I love it. I have the over heating issuses worked out and it runs like a deere. No matter what engine you put in, there is lots of help here for you should you need it.  No chute in mine, to heavey.   WELCOME  !!   :D   :D   :D

Gary Weaver  (OH I mean Gary H)
Will fly for food!!
KevinC
Veteran Member

Welcome!

Post by KevinC »

Gary,

Welcome to the group!  Lots of good experience and help here.

I looked at a Highlander in La Grande, OR (flame paint job) with a chute in it when I was trying to decide what to build.  The website has since disappeared, but the N-number is N7078T - you can take it from there.

K
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

I thought about a BRS chute but with the crash bag type, inflated Full Lotus floats deployed at all times on the amphib combined with the Highlander's slow stall speed, the BRS chute seemed like both overweight and overkill. Hope I'm right.

Return to “Just Aircraft”