I'm NOT a mechanic. How do you choose a power plant?

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
AviatorKeith

I'm NOT a mechanic. How do you choose a power plant?

Post by AviatorKeith »

I'm not yet a Pilot, but I will be pursuing a Sport Pilot's license in the weeks to come. I am having trouble finding LSAs that fit my budget and my 6'1 270lb frame so I figure I'll buy and build one.

I'm researching the purchase of a Highlander kit and as handy as I am, I know NOTHING about engines. I have no doubt I can build this plane to match a factory prototype, but with motors I lack experience. I'm not one of those guys who grew up working on car motors. True enough, I can keep my riding mower maintained and I understand the science behind a combustion engine, but I can't figure out how to determine what power plant to install in my future plane. Other than Horse power differences, are there other advantages/disadvantages that would help me determine which engine would be best for my plane? If you've built a plane, how did you choose? If you intend to build a plane, how will you choose?

I'm willing to return to rudimentary study of the engine choices. Is there a class for absolute beginners? Is there a book or some other teaching tool? Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Pilots are a rare kind of human. They leave the ordinary surface of the world, to purify their soul in the sky, and they come down to earth, only after receiving the communion of the infinite.

— José Maria Velasco Ibarra, President of Ecuador
xpflyr
Veteran Member

Re: I'm NOT a mechanic. How do you choose a power plant?

Post by xpflyr »

You don't need to be an expert on engines.
We choose our engines based on what you're;
familiar with- if you know about a certain engine that fits the Challengers needs go with it.
the aircrafts design capabilities- you wouldn't choose an engine that hasn't been tested or is not the right weight envelope or has no fire wall forward kit for installation.

It's really easy. Go with what others have used.
Rotax 912 or 912ULS 80 hp - 100
Jabiru 2200 or 3300 85 hp - 120
Aero V, that's a VW 80 hp?
A few others.

I'm using the 3300 Jabiru because I'm familiar with them and have had good results. Plus the Company JustAir, supports them and they make a FWF kit for them.
Most here choose the Rotax for the same reasons.

Either way, the most maintenance you'll be doing is changing the plugs and oil. You won't be overhauling them.

Good luck.
AviatorKeith

Post by AviatorKeith »

I found a great Avweb clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsOpgKJScoI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

xpflyr, what do you mean when you say you've had good results? Lower maintenance? Cheaper annuals? Better fuel burn? I'm just curious.
Pilots are a rare kind of human. They leave the ordinary surface of the world, to purify their soul in the sky, and they come down to earth, only after receiving the communion of the infinite.

xpflyr
Veteran Member

Post by xpflyr »

AviatorKeith wrote:I found a great Avweb clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsOpgKJScoI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

xpflyr, what do you mean when you say you've had good results? Lower maintenance? Cheaper annuals? Better fuel burn? I'm just curious.

I like to keep it simple.
Direct drive
no gear box
one carb
no plumbing with cooling
many flying
and yes, low maintenance and easy. Good fuel burn, I do my own annuals as you will, and,,,,,,,,,,,,, it's thousands cheaper than a 912ULS!
This is only my opinion. The Rotex is a great engine as many here will attest should they ever give their input here. :)
AviatorKeith

Post by AviatorKeith »

xpflyr wrote:
AviatorKeith wrote:I found a great Avweb clip:

I like to keep it simple.
Direct drive
no gear box
one carb
no plumbing with cooling
many flying
and yes, low maintenance and easy. Good fuel burn, I do my own annuals as you will, and,,,,,,,,,,,,, it's thousands cheaper than a 912ULS!
This is only my opinion. The Rotex is a great engine as many here will attest should they ever give their input here. :)
Yeah, the Jabiru is starting to stand out for those same reasons.

FlynFisherman

Post by FlynFisherman »

Be sure to consider the UL 350i as an option. There are not too many of them in the field yet, but it has some great features. I'm just about ready to purchase one for my plane.

Return to “Just Aircraft”