Fuel Venting on Ground

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
mhcrowder
Veteran Member

Fuel Venting on Ground

Post by mhcrowder »

Ed and I are having an issue with fuel venting out the vent tubes while on the ground when the tanks are 3/4 full (8 gallons or more in the tank). Here's a picture of how we drilled our fuel caps according to the Just Aircraft manual.

We've made sure that the hole in the bottom plate does not align with the vent tube, and it's actually 180 degrees away.

Just taxiing around on our grass strip we'll see fuel dripping from the leading edge of the wing. This problem is made worse due to the fact our plane is a nosewheel variant, putting the fuel toward the front of the wing and fuel caps.

Anyone experience this issue and found a solution?

Also, we're using E0 (Ethanol Free) mogas, 93 Octane in our 912iS. It is staining the Superflite paint. We're trying to use Plane Perfect Wing Wipe after every flight, but it is still staining the white paint. When we first noticed the issue we aggressively polished the paint to remove the stains. We then applied Plane Perfect Clear Coat, but the stains have returned. Anyone have any protectant recommendations that will help with the stain issues?

==
Michael Crowder
Ed Bodette
Tralika
Veteran Member

Re: Fuel Venting on Ground

Post by Tralika »

I don't have any experience with superflight so I can't help with the stain problem. My plane is a taildragger so the only time I get fuel out of my vents is when I fold the wings with more than 3 or 4 gallons in a tank. I can't go look at my fuel caps right now but I'm pretty sure I drilled a much smaller hole than yours, 1/8" or maybe 1/16". The hole only needs to be big enough to move a small volume of air, not liquid. You might try to drill a small hole down the center of a brass machine screw and mount it with a nut in the hole in one of your caps to see if that helps.
Good luck

Return to “Just Aircraft”