Baggage Area Ideas :?:

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
mhcrowder
Veteran Member

Baggage Area Ideas :?:

Post by mhcrowder »

Looking for ideas on how to "use" the baggage area of the Highlander/SuperSTOL. So far we've only used the baggage area to add weight during our Phase 1 testing. How are you securing items so they aren't loose in the baggage area? What are you flying around with that is "always back there" and how's it secured? We have the aft side baggage door on our Highlander that helps getting to the back area. I'd just like to make sure baggage doesn't get into the rudder/aileron/flap cables. Also, we don't have an inner baggage area "wall", so the we also don't want to puncture the outer skin with loose baggage. Just wonder what others have done back there? Pictures?

==
Michael
Tralika
Veteran Member

Re: Baggage Area Ideas :?:

Post by Tralika »

I carry a 25 lb survival kit in a waterproof bag all the way in the back of my baggage area. I use a long, 1" wide cargo strap that I loop back and forth between the aft tie down rings. It holds the bag against the aft baggage bulkhead. I've never had a problem with the bag moving or contacting the rudder cables. If I have a heavier or larger load I put it in the center of the baggage area and use two cargo straps and all four of the tie down rings. Again no problem with anything moving in flight.
mhcrowder
Veteran Member

Post by mhcrowder »

Comments from Facebook..... (you'll have to check the facebook post for pictures)
Steve Cameron
I used two rubber bins glued together at the right length and covered the bottom and edges with oil mat material to keep it from scratching things. Eventually I will secure it from side to side. I had a weight almost puncture the fabric when it slid around during Phase I. So I started using this bin. This was a 'junkyard find'... my hangar neighbor was getting rid of it.
John Michael Brown
I put a mesh partition to keep the heavy stuff forward and the light stuff aft. The aft part is accessible via the cargo door that I added after it was built.

I have an earlier post with "how to instructions" , well worth doing
Shawn Taplin
I put a piece of 2” foam on either side of my elevator push rod then lexan to cover pulleys and pushrod.
Made a ladder tied cord that connects all of my tiedown points so I can run tiedowns anywhere on the “ladder”.
I covered my baggage interior with Oratex.
Tony Armour
On a camping trip I have a baggage compartment piled full. I just make sure all the bag closure strings for like the tent/sleeping back are reward so as not to get into the pullies. Other than that, I try to load the lighter stuff rearward and just pile it in. "I" think the only spot to worry with are the pullies right behind the seats. No, not the best scenario but still safe as can be. I have cloth sides back there in my SS.
Kenny Kitzmann
I only have outer fabric and this 47” wide moose rack is held with straps to prevent fabric puncture. I use multiple straps to criss cross cargo to keep it off the rudder cables, if cargo pushes onto rudder cable you will feel it in flight. I made pulley covers for the pulleys at front of cargo floor and like the other guy says watch for straps etc that can get in between pulleys and cables.

Huge advantage is getting my shoulders into the baggage door to be able to reach, place and adjust straps for all cargo reguardless if the cargo is at front or rear being able to access the rear is a huge help to secure loads. My rear cargo door has no bottom edge shelf(not needed) and that allows way more room for my elbows when I’m reaching in like this.

Found this 3 way blue ratchet strap @ Canadian tire the round metal ring is perfect for holding 1 jerry can
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

As above, I used small cord to tie a small ladder pattern, so I could attach a tie down anywhere front to back. I then used small carabiners to attach that to the tie down loops in the frame. I use paracord tie downs with the hooks on the ends that you find at Home depot to secure the load along the ladder cord.
As for stuff that stays in the plane, I have a canvas tool roll that stays on top of the load or in the rear baggage near the tail if I am light, Shovel/ saw/ axe kit for long trips, tie down bag with gust locks, survival bag, Sleeping bag, food/ stove bag, Firearm bag.
I have separate bags for all of these so I can pick and choose for different trips.
I like the black and red tool bags at Home depot for the smaller stuff because I can run the tie down chord through the handle loop.
When flying remote I carry large (empty) sand bags to use for tie downs if I stop in unfriendly tie down area, dig hole putting dirt in the bags, then bag in the hole and bury for wind proof tie down.
I also strap the slats down with my tie down rope.
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

And if I ever do any fabric work on my plane or build another - I will build baggage door all the way to the floor.

Return to “Just Aircraft”