[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4753: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Wings Forum • View topic - Sensenich Flight Test Report

Wings Forum

Forum for homebuilt experimental & light sport aircraft pilots, owners, & builders.
It is currently Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:04 pm 
Seasoned Member

I've been told not to trust the adjusting pin solely for pitch setting. You need to confirm with a protractor that all blades match, because they can and will vary.

Has the hub system been improved or does this still apply?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:12 pm 
Veteran Member

Av8r3400,

If you are referring to the Sensenich propeller we address the alignment pin and digital protractor in this post. The problem is not necessarily with the hub but the pitch pin on the blade. In my case I tried to use the pitch setting gauge several times and when I verify the blade angle with a digital protractor the blades are out. Since I was able to set the blades with the protractor this indicates that the problem is not with the hub. When I told Sensenich about the problem they asked me to return my propeller to them so that they could correct the problem and I chose not to return it until the thaw.

This picture shows that to set the pitch angle the blade is rotated until the pitch pin comes in contact with the pitch setting gauge, it is that pitch pin that may be out of alignment.

Pitch Pin.png
Pitch Pin.png [ 151.41 KiB | Viewed 6508 times ]

Jack

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:19 pm 
Veteran Member

Mark,

That IVO medium does work well on the Highlander. I actually recommended that prop to Howard. He could cruise at 100 mph on floats with it, and still had a really good climb while still providing a reasonably short water takeoff.

But since all of us are always trying to find the "perfect" prop for our planes, sharing what we experience with other brands is something that can really help us find the best prop for our particular needs. And even though we are flying the same basic airplane, our needs can vary a lot. So the more we can learn from one another about the various props, the better off we all are.

Paul

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:34 am 
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:13 am 
Forum Regular

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:18 pm 
Veteran Member

Paul,

You are right, I was told by a Rotax factory technician that if you are not developing 5800 RPM that you are robbing the aircraft from the available HP that the engine can produce. I also understand that temperature has a significant impact on RPM and to get to 5800 in the cold weather I may have to fine the pitch out a little and once it gets warmer out there I will likely have to pitch coarse again. This is where an in flight adjustable propeller like the IVO you talk about would be so nice because regardless of atmospheric conditions you can always get the most out of your engine.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate your comments.

I will be asking for your advice on rigging my Zenair floats on another post, I could PM you but I know there are others that appreciate learning from the knowledge you have on this subject as well.

Jack

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:14 pm 
Veteran Member

Looks like the Ivoprop ultralight in-flight adjustable - specifically for Rotax engines to 100 hp - is currently $1400. Mounting weight with all controls and the spinner is 10 pounds.

Can that prop really provide the best of both worlds - climb and cruise?

They weigh a little more than a ground adjustable, and they can't be operated by a Sport Pilot. Any other reasons I wouldn't want one?

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:24 pm 
Veteran Member

It sounds really good at $1400 Sheepdog, let us know how it works out.

Jack

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:59 pm 
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:33 pm 
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:05 pm 
Veteran Member

Thank you, Paul... that helps a lot, and it makes the Ivoprop sound like a pretty good system.

You mentioned the medium IFA prop. Going from the light IFA to the medium IFA adds weight (from 9.5 pounds to 19.2 pounds), and cost ( from $1400 to $2740). Are there enough advantages to the medium to justify twice the weight and almost twice the money?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:49 pm 
Veteran Member

The ultralight version is certainly lighter, and less costly. But the medium is a much nicer prop.

And while the UL blade will work with the 912ULS, the medium is much more appropriate. The IVO UL blade will cavitate on initial throttle application, but it doesn't if used on the 80 hp 912UL. I think that is just a function of how light, narrow, and thin the blade is. To most the UL blade will appear to be downright flimsy, but in reality it is designed to flex a lot, which is what I believe makes it so efficient.

The medium blade is much sturdier appearing, so therefore heavier. And while it will still flex as it needs to, it is still sturdy enough to handle the higher horsepower of the 912ULS.

If I wanted to run an ultralight IVO IFA version to save weight and cost (vs the medium), I would order the IVO UL blade they call the "Patriot" blade. It has more built in pitch than the regular UL blade, has more efficient tapered tips, and is the most capable of handling the horsepower and torque of the 912ULS. A friend of mine flies that blade on a 912UL, but it won't go flat enough for that engine to get max takeoff performance. So it is not the blade to have for the 80 hp 912. I'm thinking they probably designed that blade for the 912ULS before developing the medium blade for the 912.

With all that said, with what we have been learning about different props lately, I'm not so sure it is worth giving up LSA options for the IFA prop. We are seeing some pretty good performance from some of the props being used. Especially the Prince and the Sensenich lately. When we start seeing 116 mph top speed from 912ULS Highlanders, while still having 1300 fpm climb rates, I think those blades might be even more efficient than the IVO's? And even though the IVO IFA can be adjusted, I'm not so sure it would be worth giving up on LSA, or adding the complexity of an IFA?

Mark, can you tell us how that Highlander you fly with the IVO medium ground adjustable performs? I know Howard loved that prop on floats, so I'm guessing it should do well even without the IFA option installed when on wheels.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:55 pm 
Veteran Member

What do you guys mean by giving up LSA options?

With regard to airspeed and propellers, our pitot static systems are not calibrated so be careful not to put too much creedance in IAS. The IAS on all of our aircraft will vary.

Jack

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:31 pm 
Veteran Member

Hi Jack,
I'm sure they meant to say that the in-flight adjustable prop is not allowed under LSA rules, just like advanced ultralights in Canada. Their planes would have to be registered as experimental to use an IFA prop as do ours under the amateur-built rules.
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:50 am 
Veteran Member

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next