back to building the buttercup

flying2nc

back to building the buttercup

Post by flying2nc »

thumbnail_steaming spruce for jig prebend.jpg
we are back to building our buttercup after taking quite a few years off because of "life", I am determined this time to complete the plane and putting other projects on the back-burner, First off I would like to say thank you to PLANECRAZZZY for his help in getting me back on this sight because of crashed computers and forgotten passwords, also he is a big help with information and inspiration with his butterwind build.
I am about finished with all the ribs now and will start assembling wings as soon as my spar materiel arrives, FYI I was trying to find cheaper sitka spruce from someone other than acs and when I inquired at wicks about if they had spar wood Kieth Gibbs their purchasing sales support guy told me they did not carry spar wood anymore, so I asked him if he knew of anyone else who sold or carried sitka spar wood and I was informed by Kieth Gibbs about Aircraft Spruce that and I Quote: Unfortunately they are now the only one that he knows of that deals with spruce. They have a long waiting list, and the word is they are going to stop selling spruce soon as well.
so I guess they will be changing their name to aircraft supplies then?
when I bought my sitka spar wood for making the wing ribs I purchased 1/4"x 5/8" instead of the print recommended 1/4" x 1/2" , just to make the ribs and a little beefier and I didn't think the extra weight penalty wouldn't be that much that I couldn't make it up in another area in a lighter design. because of this I had to steam and pre bend all of my top & bottom cap strips on the 3/4 and full ribs.I steamed them 20 minutes once steam started, this was good on everything except for the bottom cap strip on the full ribs,, with the pre bend jig I made I was able to steam and pre bend 2 at a time, and out of the first two that I tried to pre bend @ 20 minutes steam time one snapped!
I had put them both on the jig and clamped them down with no resistance or issue and when I checked on them a couple hours later one of them had split apart in a 3 inch failure,, so the next time I steamed a couple pieces of wood for the bottom full rib I bumped it up to 35 minutes steam time and did not have any more issues. after steaming the capstrips I let them dry in 72 degrees before attempting to glue up a rib so I am certain they are dry enough for epoxy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
planecrazzzy
Site Admin

Re: back to building the buttercup

Post by planecrazzzy »

This "Wider" cap strip material got me thinking about fabric lacing...the reinforce weave (5/8"twill ?)
Either you gotta find the material to stitch it.... or break a 1/16" off both sides ...back to 1/2"
just a quick taper ...cause of gusset contact area ...
I think I'd put the gussets on before anything was shaped .

I don't really know ....it's fabric protection , for both directions ..laced for pushing and pulling
A&P's on the https://groups.io/g/ButtercupSTOL usually have the answer ...options.
Ok...Back to dreaming about flying her .
Gotta Fly...

Please Delete from your log if this is BS...
Sometimes you just have to take the leap
and build your wings on the way down...
                Gotta Fly...

Return to “Tony's Buttercup Project”