Extreme Windshield

SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Re: Extreme Windshield

Post by SheepdogRD »

Here's another look at the boot cowl comparison, with the Extreme boot cowl painted black. Again, the sides of the Extreme boot cowl can be even slimmer than shown here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

Here's Gary Winterton's sleek new Highlander, N571JW, ready for flight testing. It's sporting the acrylic Extreme windshield.

N571JW-3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

One other note: Gary's Highlander also has the "913" lower cowling and the "straight-back" upper cowling.

N571JW-04.jpg
Richard Holtz

SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

Here's Shawn Taplin's SuperSTOL again, showing what an Extreme windshield + Lexan side panels + narrowed instrument panel can do for the view out. Shawn also has a Lexan floor panels and Lexan belly skin for the ultimate in visibility.
N331AK-08.jpg
Richard Holtz

SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

Here's Gary Winterton's Highlander with final paint.

N571JW-07a.jpg

N571JW-08a.jpg
Richard Holtz

CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

Post by CanadianSheepHunter »

SheepdogRD wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:30 pm One other note: Gary's Highlander also has the "913" lower cowling and the "straight-back" upper cowling.

You must have meant “914 lower” ?
N571JW-04.jpg
CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

I haven’t painted my cowling yet. Having the top black will that help lots with glare? Otherwise mine will be silver.
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

CanadianSheepHunter wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:15 pm Having the top black will that help lots with glare?
My Highlander is silver, too, but I'm considering making the whole nose black. Whether the cowling is black or silver, the top of the cowling and anything else I can see from the seats will be matte black to reduce -- or eliminate -- glare.
Richard Holtz

SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

CanadianSheepHunter wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:13 pm You must have meant “914 lower” ?
No, he has the 913 lower. The 913 lower is a 914 lower with an added radiator scoop opening the size of the one in the 912 lower, plus a deeper chin, a larger bottom opening, and a deeper skirt around the bottom to suck air through. It helps solve cooling problems for those who prefer a front-mounted radiator or intercooler.
Richard Holtz

CanadianSheepHunter
Veteran Member

And that’s from the factory?
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

Yes, it's available from the factory. It's used with Rotax 912 and 914 engines on either the ring mount or the bed mount, Yamaha engines, and others.

The 913 lower is often paired with the "straight-back" upper for an excellent fit with the Extreme boot cowl. The standard 914 upper starts narrow at the front and gets continuously wider at the rear. The "straight-back" upper starts the same width, but stops getting wider when it reaches firewall width. It goes straight back from then on. No matter the length of the engine installation, it's a just-right fit at the boot cowl. The modification isn't very visible, but it makes for easier fitting.
Richard Holtz

Dustydon81

Post by Dustydon81 »

N162MM has over 100 hours with the Extreme acrylic windshield mounted on a 914/913 cowl set that covers a 912 engine. All three parts were molded using a high strength resin usually reserved for certified aircraft cowls. This cowl set is as hard as woodpecker lips. I am extremely please with this very extreme front end on my Highlander!
Last edited by Dustydon81 on Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Sheepdog's Highlander Build”