[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4753: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4757: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Wings Forum • View topic - AV8R Paul’s SuperSTOL XL

Wings Forum

Forum for homebuilt experimental & light sport aircraft pilots, owners, & builders.
It is currently Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 327 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:36 am 
Veteran Member

I must admit the only thing I’m not pleased with on the plane are the seat covers. When I went to Travelers Rest to get the plane. The seat covers they looked great. By the time I flew the 40 hours off the storage bags were starting to unravel and coming off, and when I flew it today I noticed the stitching at the top of the seat is starting to unravel. They cut the material too close to the stitch seams and they didn’t zig zag stitch the material to keep the burlap from unraveling. I’ve ordered new seats with thicker foam on the bottom, and they will be leather. When I was at Oshkosh I stopped in the display booth and talked with Oregon Aero. I really liked the quality. The factory only makes 3 inch foam seats, Oregon aero will custom build the thickness you want. I threw two reams of printer paper on the seat pans, and found that that was the perfect height, which is 4 inches thick. Being a short man 5’ 7” since my scoliosis kicked in (when I was 20 I hit the towering height of 5’ 9”) I need a booster seat. I should be getting some new seats in October. I’ll post a picture when I get them.

Last week I went out to fly and it was raining and IFR aT the Airport, so I decided to build a GoPro Mount on the Pilots Side. I’ll need to take a picture of it. I can mount 2 cameras one facing forward, and one facing aft to the tail wheel. I need to go test it and post some pictures once I get my GoPro synced with my I phone to activate the camera. I hate apple updates, be damned it would work after the IOS update.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:44 am 
Veteran Member

Anyone going (Hugh?) to the Texas STOL Flyin in Hondo, Tejas? If the weather holds I plan on attending.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:16 pm 
Veteran Member

I hope I’m feeling better tomorrow, if not I may need to stay home.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:26 pm 
Veteran Member

I went flying yesterday, I found a new Airpark called Vaca Moo. Carlos Rodriguez retired airforce has 60 with a Grass and dirt Airstrip, he is building three hangers to rent and a camping area for overnight stays. He is planning to subdivide 25 acres into lots for people to build homes or hanger homes. The photo is with the plane sitting on the strip. It was a glorious day to go flying. If you go to Vaca Moo Airport on Facebook there is a short flyby video. I can’t figure out how to attach it. I may put it on You Tube.

Attachments:
EE05D1F1-DD40-4620-A111-39161D9B5988.jpeg
EE05D1F1-DD40-4620-A111-39161D9B5988.jpeg [ 1.09 MiB | Viewed 8291 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:29 pm 
Veteran Member

When I was flying off my time, I would stop at Greenville Downtown Airport to go have lunch. One of the Controllers in the Tower was taking photos, I found these on an Aviation Photos Web site.

Attachments:
8448B277-02D3-4CE2-8102-2C7CCF869A11.jpeg
8448B277-02D3-4CE2-8102-2C7CCF869A11.jpeg [ 166.31 KiB | Viewed 8309 times ]
B2920092-9538-4C7B-BFBE-12AE1AA27778.jpeg
B2920092-9538-4C7B-BFBE-12AE1AA27778.jpeg [ 39.07 KiB | Viewed 8309 times ]
1B91E794-00EF-4F76-99B2-EFB0D6FEBD47.jpeg
1B91E794-00EF-4F76-99B2-EFB0D6FEBD47.jpeg [ 47.12 KiB | Viewed 8309 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:36 pm 
Veteran Member

I added a short video to my You Tube videos search for SuperSTOL XL Purple Haze - Vaca Moo Airpark. It’s just a short fly by video.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:09 am 

Hey Paul,
Can you tell us the fuel burn with that Titan ??
What was your zero fuel weight ??

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:01 pm 
Veteran Member

The Titan sucks a lot of fuel, I see 6.5 to 8.0 Gallons per hour. Which mean I have about 3.0 hours of Flight before I have to fill up.
Since, I've had my Prostrate removed, 2 to 2.5 hours is plenty, I need to stop long before I get to 3 hours.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:07 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:36 am 
Veteran Member

Paul, now that you have some time in your SS I'm curious how you feel about it compared to your Kitfox?

I don't mean to cause any debate over which is better, etc, just curious how you feel now that you are experienced with yours.

Btw, I just love your paint scheme. That thing rocks!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:00 am 
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:56 pm 
Veteran Member

One other observation. I probably should have gone with a Highlander versus a SuperSTOL, the Highlander would perform as good as I need. The flat lands of Texas don’t really require a high performance STOL Aircraft. However, having worked at Texas Instruments and Raytheon for 40 years, as a Mechanical Engineer & a Systems Engineer. One of my favorite programs was The AGM-88 HARM (High-speed Anti-radiation Missile) is a tactical, air-to-surface anti-radiation missile designed to home in on electronic transmissions coming from surface-to-air radar systems. I get a real kick out of Mechanical Designs, and the SuperSTOL has some really neat mechanical features: Slats, Spoilers, & its Landing Gear. And I concur with the flight line crew member, thumbs up!

Attachments:
AAC896C8-099B-4C32-B882-B97E144CE106.jpeg
AAC896C8-099B-4C32-B882-B97E144CE106.jpeg [ 594.3 KiB | Viewed 8074 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:13 am 
Veteran Member

The up sides to the Kitfox. The Door design was much nicer relative to fit and finish, the SuperSTOL door are so so. However, I have the welded doors with the opening upper window, I definitely give about 1 Million thumbs up to the opening window. The Bubble doors in the Kitfox are nice, but in 100+ summer days they tended to restrict much flying. The vents in my old Kitfox didn’t allow for much airflow. I’d go flying in the morning or not at all. Zero airflow with the doors on. I know you can remove the doors, but I never did.

Also, the fit and finish of the cowling to boot cowl was done much better. However, I added kick panel windows so I can see forward while taxiing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:09 am 
Veteran Member

I can't tell you where I bought these vents but I can say they work very well on those 100 degree days around Houston in my Highlander.

Alan

Attachments:
20181128_122903_resized.jpg
20181128_122903_resized.jpg [ 285.72 KiB | Viewed 7956 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:40 pm 
Veteran Member

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 327 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next