Build manual?

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
fastknots

Build manual?

Post by fastknots »

Now, I'm no dummy, I don't think anyway.
I've built a couple different kit planes. They came out very well.
I downloaded the build manual on line for the Highlander and I can't believe you can build a plane from it!
Honestly,, do builders who have completed their plane work off these plans???????
You must have a friend who works at the factory or something because there is no way you can build a Highlander off these plans.
What gives? Am I this bad or is there another manual, video, something???
Thanks.
Sir Real
Seasoned Member

Re: Build manual?

Post by Sir Real »

Interesting undertone to a message purporting to seek information. Though I have not built one (oe anything else), it would seem apparent to the casual observer that there are a number of Highlanders & Escapades flying worldwide, having been built from these plans.

Of course, the reports are that the customer support is good, as well.
xpflyr
Veteran Member

Post by xpflyr »

I just ordered a Highlander kit! I'm excited to begin building but I can say this,,,,,,,,
looking at the build manual, it leaves a lot to be desired. At least by someone who has never built a tube and fabric plane.
I've built a PulsarXP composite and the instructions were great. 4 different manuals with plenty of pictures! I like pictures.
Needed very little help and the Pulsar forum did just fine with the help I did need.

This forum seems almost dead! I suppose it's because of the few Highlander kits out there as of now. I bet that changes soon.

So, I go to other forums. The Kitfox forum has an active membership and I believe can answer any question that I need help with.
YouTube is of great help as well.

Of course, the factory says to call anytime as much as needed and I intend too!

Hope this helps, Don.
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

It would be real hard without this forum for a first timer to build a qualty Highlander but, WITH the forum AND the "manual", it's not a problem.
justaircraft
Seasoned Member

Post by justaircraft »

We admit there are more comprehensive build manuals available,however of the 203 kits that have been built less than 30% call us for further direction.Of those that do we usually recieve about one or two calls a day asking for further instruction.We are always available to offer any help that is needed.If you ask the owners you will find a loyal and dedicated group of owners unsurpassed in the LSA industry.(check the activity on Wings Forum vs all other SLA providers(not related to the manual) ) As one other responder replied ,that with the company response and Wings Forum this is not a significant problem!
We have sold planes around the world and and recieved less inquires in general than those of us in the U.S.A..Are they more inovative!
However, we are making it a priority to enhance our manual, and appreciate your input as well as others.

Harry Berndt

National Sales & Marketing Manager

forum
KevinC
Veteran Member

Post by KevinC »

I don't want to be contrary, but this list is anything but dead! Many of the questions have already been answered and you can probably find an answer to any question you may have in the last 17 pages of the forum... and if a new question comes up it has always been answered.

Most of us are just out flying :D

k
Dauckster

Post by Dauckster »

I have not seen anyone elses manual, but we built our Escapade, as first time builders, with only the manual and customer support. This forum did not exist or we didn't know about it at the time. It is not a difficult build for the most part, we had the quick build wings and the wings were set to the fuselog, which I suggest. There are also a few builders logs available on the internet to see how other people have built the planes in a step by step process. The factory or this forum will address any issues that the manual might not be clear on. It is an enjoyable build and a great plane to fly!

Brian Dauck, Rio Creek, WI #37
Brian #37 Escapade Rio Creek WI
Elvin

Post by Elvin »

Jeff Foxworth has a show Am I Smarter Than A Third Grader. That is about all it takes to build a Highlander from the manual. I am about half way done and have not ran into anything to tough to figure out. Has been very enjoyable
N218P
fastknots

Post by fastknots »

Well Elvin, I guess your superior intelligence to a third grader is why you are having no problems or need no questions answered.
Being "halfway" ( btw halfway is one word not two and a third grader would know ) done and haven't " ran " into a problem. That makes anyone who does not as smart as you think you are?
Quoting Jeff Foxworth? Now there's a real intellectual. has he built a plane too?
rmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rmullins »

Wow.... Do you work for a JA competitor?

Obviously the statement you made about the kit being impossible to build from the manual is a bit absurd. Either that or you are saying that over 200 extremely bright and clever people purchased this airplane. In that case thanks for the complement. Most of us agree the manual can be improved, and the factory concurs, but several of us have successfully built the kit using the manual with an occasional call for clarification to the factory. I know several people that have built several different kits and complaining about the build information is a common topic of discussion. If you are truly interested in building this plane and not in just slamming the company, I can guarantee you that if you are a competent builder as you claim, between the manual, the factory, and this forum you will have no problem building one.
Last edited by rmullins on Thu May 20, 2010 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Mullins  #144
Cincinnati, Oh
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

fastknots,
Whether you believe it or not, we have an active, mature,
and helpful group of builders here. When we have a problem
or question, we work through it. Please refrain from the derogatory
remarks. We haven't had any in the past, and I don't want to start
this forum down that path. This is not third or even fifth grade.

John
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
fastknots

Post by fastknots »

"mature, and helpful group of builders here. When we have a problem
or question, we work through it. Please refrain from the derogatory remarks. "

Oh, I see, implying you're not as smart as a third grader wasn't derogatory?
Seems to me if you read my orignal post there is nothing there as far as insults or put downs.. Just an observation echoed by many.
Alvin's reply was unnecessary and derogatory.
xpflyr
Veteran Member

Post by xpflyr »

rmullins, I just bought a kit and It's the first tube and fabric I've built so I wouldn't get on another guy just because he made a negative comment on the build manual.
I'm not to the point yet of covering my wings but unless I missed it in the manual, I don't see where,,,
you either stitch or rivet the fabric to the wings.
If rivet, what pattern?
This may be know to experienced builders, but not me.

I guess I'm not as smart as a 5th grader either. :-)
I also don't see a page on or picture about how to run the cables for the rigging of the ailerons.

Can ANYBODY help with these two questions.
Even though I'm not there yet, I like to be ready.

I don't see anything wrong with the original post. Big deal, he thinks it could be better. Thanks!!!
Don.
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

You can either stitch or rivet stitch. I believe that the majority if not all of the Escapades/Highlanders are rivet stitched. It is not hard at all. Here are a couple pics for you to look at. The one with the rivets is after adding the special tape, drilling and burning out the hole then placing the rivet. The next pic is completed with tape over the rivets.
On the other note....*everyone play nice*
Dennis {the guy who can delete your posts}
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
xpflyr
Veteran Member

Post by xpflyr »

Thanks Dennis. I love pictures!
Don.

Return to “Just Aircraft”